Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #1

Share |

Bath Tub Installation Help

We are finishing a basement bathroom

After framing the bathroom , My contractor installed the green wall and the hardie backer around the bath tub. We noticed an uneven gap ( 3/4 inch at edge of tub) between the wall and the right side of the tub. Another world the left side fits perfectly against the two walls ( Corner ) but not the right side . How is this going to be fixed?..& is this going to be a problem when he install the ceramic tiles on the walls?? ..My contractor said dont worry but did not explain how is he going to fix it
Please advice

mmohanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #2

From your description it's hard to visualize, but sounds like the plumber missed his framing measurements... I'm curious myself how he fixes that "mess." The tub should fit against the framing studs and then the green board or backer board attached to the framing members above the tub (not between the tub and framing members).

cm3putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #3

Some builders like to slightly oversize the alcove for the tub. Instead of making a 60" alcove for a 60" tub, they'll make it 60.5", or 60.75". That way the tub slides in easily, and then they can fir out the studs on one side to make up the difference. Sounds like he forgot to fir out the studs before he threw up the green board?
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #4

I think you may be right

The inspector came for inspection when the tub was on the floor attached to the studs & before he hung the hardie baker. It seems no one noticed a problem or may be like you said it was assumed he will be fitting the studs on both sides before the hardie baker gets installed

At this point what would you do to fix the problem before we move ahead???
mmohanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #5

You'd have to take down the wall board again and put on the firring strips. But let the plumber know ahead of time if the studs will be padded out on the valve end of the tub. He may have roughed the valve in at a certain depth and may have to adjust it before you close it all in.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote