Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Bath tub Faucet Problem

Ignoring the 2 other projects i have going on right now, i need to focus on a bath tub faucet problem however i need some advice.

First off i currently have the style faucet where the single knob pulls out straight and then turns left-right to hot-cold. (shower/tub combo)-

It is very hard to pull the knob out but the biggest problem is pushing it back in to shut the water off, after you push it in and let go, it pulls out a bit by itself and flows some water like the pressure is pushing it back out. then if you push it in again your usually okay but sometimes it takes three pushes. I've taken the cover off and what's even worse is that it looks like water may be dripping back on the valve and into my wall!

Any ideas on what i should do?
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #2

Bath tub Faucet Problem

Sounds like an older Moen faucett is it? If so they have parts to replace the old worn out parts inside. I don't have any experience with them but that is the type I had growing up witha similar problem that my father was able to resolve with new parts.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
DIY staff

Bath tub Faucet Problem

Yep--Jims got it--The cartridge should be easy to find and identify,If it is a Moen you will want to use a Moen cartridge pulling tool.

Poll up some sand paper and clean up the valve body and lubricate the hole before installing the new piece.

It takes only a few minutes to do.---Mike---
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #4

Bath tub Faucet Problem

the overflow drian says rockwell. nothing else is labeled. still think i can find parts?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #5

Bath tub Faucet Problem

hi

dont mean to hi-jack the thread, but Im having a similar problem with my Moen shower faucet; it keeps dripping. Installed about 9 mths ago, seem a little early for the cartrige, but do you think that would be the cause, ie fauly cartridge? Here's my model.. http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/82402pt.pdf
Started couple of days ago where it would simply drip a bit, and when I opened the water, and then turned it off, it stopped. Today, it kinda drips conitnually. Are the cartidges usually free? Should I change both (hot and cold)?

Thanks!
sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #6

Bath tub Faucet Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhammes View Post
the overflow drian says rockwell. nothing else is labeled. still think i can find parts?
Take a picture of the faucet and we can be sure if it is a moen or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #7

Bath tub Faucet Problem

perfect i'll do that over lunch today. thank you Jim!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #8

Bath tub Faucet Problem

How do i get this out to replace it? the hardware store said to bring in the piece and they'll match it up no problem. I know the clip comes out from the top but what about the rest?

Quick response please... gotta go back to work but need to get the water back on.

Last edited by gmhammes; 06-02-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #9

Bath tub Faucet Problem

Of course theres a special tool... lol
Old 06-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
DIY staff

Bath tub Faucet Problem

That's a Moen--Lay a towel in the tub --you don't want to loose the little clip--
There is a horseshoe shaped clip --top front--turn off the water--lift the clip with a pair of needle nose pliers--The puller is the tool--however most times you can pull out the cartridge with a pair of channel locks.

It is very possible to snap off the stem ,doing it that way--then you are in trouble.

I always use a puller--they are sold at any store that sell cartridges.

Clean the hole with sand paper and wipe clean--lubricate the hole with the grease that comes with the new cartridge --slip it into place--put the clip back on --then test it.

It is a 50/50 shot that it is upside down--if cold comes on when the hot should--just revolve the shaft 180 and then put the handle on.

SPMFJ---sometimes new cartridges are damaged by the grit and crud dislodged during the installation of a new valve--just bad luck----Mike---
Old 06-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
Knows everything but that

Bath tub Faucet Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
That's a Moen--Lay a towel in the tub --you don't want to loose the little clip--
There is a horseshoe shaped clip --top front--turn off the water--lift the clip with a pair of needle nose pliers--The puller is the tool--however most times you can pull out the cartridge with a pair of channel locks.

It is very possible to snap off the stem ,doing it that way--then you are in trouble.

Clean the hole with sand paper and wipe clean--lubricate the hole with the grease that comes with the new cartridge --slip it into place--put the clip back on --then test it.

It is a 50/50 shot that it is upside down--if cold comes on when the hot should--just revolve the shaft 180 and then put the handle on.

SPMFJ---sometimes new cartridges are damaged by the grit and crud dislodged during the installation of a new valve--just bad luck----Mike---
Just a quick clarifying note about the above. It seems obvious to me but when he states to turn the water off, he means turn off the water supply, not just turn off the water in the shower. Youll be really wet if you are staring at the valve when you pull out the cartridge w/ the water supply still on.

Shane
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JakAHearts For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-02-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #12

Bath tub Faucet Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post

Thanks!!!
sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
DIY staff

Bath tub Faucet Problem

Jak--You took all of the fun out of it!!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #14

Bath tub Faucet Problem

haha thanks guys. i turn the water heater and main water supply off before pulling it out with the tool. I cleaned it out with a toothbrush (not mine) and turn the main on a little to clean it all out. the greased up the cartridge and slippe dit in. clip and faucet on. works perfect and so much smoother!!!

Thank you all for the help. this site is really a life saver.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #15
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Bath tub Faucet Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmfj View Post
hi

dont mean to hi-jack the thread, but Im having a similar problem with my Moen shower faucet; it keeps dripping. Installed about 9 mths ago, seem a little early for the cartrige, but do you think that would be the cause, ie fauly cartridge? Here's my model.. http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/82402pt.pdf
Started couple of days ago where it would simply drip a bit, and when I opened the water, and then turned it off, it stopped. Today, it kinda drips conitnually. Are the cartidges usually free? Should I change both (hot and cold)?

Thanks!
Try turning the water on again (hot) and let out a gallon or so, then see if it stops afterwards. If it does, it's probably just thermal expansion, and you need an expansion tank installed in the system. If you have one already, perhaps the bladder has failed.