Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #1

Share |

Bath tub Drain problem

I just had my basement framed in, and I am currently working on finishing the bathroom.

Unfortunately the drain pipe for the bathtub is about 6-8 inches from where it is supposed to be. It lines up with the center of the bathtub but unfortunately it is to far out to line up with the overflow pipe.

I would like to do this to code as this is getting inspected.

I was thinking of two possible scenarios:

1: Can I use a tee connector to tie the tub overflow in to the line coming from the tubdrain, and then use a 90 degree at the horizontal to vertical transition?

2: tub drain ties into floor drain via a tee, then angle a piece of a abs towards the tub overflow

here are some (horrid) sketches:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Timmay; 02-14-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Timmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Man of many hats

Bath tub Drain problem

One more thing to take into consideration is if that existing drain pipe already has a P trap. If not, you will need to break up the concrete and then run a trap and have it come up where you need your overflow/sanitary T to connect.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #3

Bath tub Drain problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
One more thing to take into consideration is if that existing drain pipe already has a P trap. If not, you will need to break up the concrete and then run a trap and have it come up where you need your overflow/sanitary T to connect.
Thanks for the reply wrangler, there is already a P trap installed under the concrete.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #4

Bath tub Drain problem

It would really be unusual to have the p-trap already installed because you will probably have to move it anyway when you install the tub. So, if you did not actually see the trap going in be sure to check that it is there before you proceed. You need to use a waste and overflow kit. I prefer the PVC type but I suggest you purchase one before you go do any more figuring. I think it will be self explanatory once you have the waste and overflow in your hands.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #5

Bath tub Drain problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegeSullivan View Post
It would really be unusual to have the p-trap already installed because you will probably have to move it anyway when you install the tub. So, if you did not actually see the trap going in be sure to check that it is there before you proceed. You need to use a waste and overflow kit. I prefer the PVC type but I suggest you purchase one before you go do any more figuring. I think it will be self explanatory once you have the waste and overflow in your hands.

Rege
Hi Rege, thanks for the reply. I have pictures of the layout of the drains in the basement before the concrete was poured and there is definately a p-trap under the concrete. Unfortunately the rough-ins weren't lined up properly, hence the dilemma I am now. All the bathtubs I have ever hooked up have the trap lined up pretty much in line with the overflow, which allows me to hook up a tee to the trap, and connect everything together nicely. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury here.

The big thing is that I want to do things to code, I can glue together some pieces now and make it work, but I do not want to take the risk that the inspector will make me rip everything out, which would be a major pain in the @#@.

Right now I am thinking that option 2 may be approved by the inspector (tee at the trap, horizontal to bath drain, then some 45's and a short piece of 1 1/2" pipe to connect from the overflow to the top of the tee)

today is a holiday, so the inspection office is closed, but I'll head down this week and see what options I have
Old 02-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #6

Bath tub Drain problem

I would break up the concrete and move the drain but I can understand why you are reluctant to do that. If either will be aproved it will be your second drawing. If you can find an abs waste and overflow kit that uses 1 1/2 abs you should be able do it.
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #7

Bath tub Drain problem

Went with option 1, it met code here in Manitoba. thanks for your help!