Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #1

Share |

Basement watchdog alarms goes off every 24 hours

I installed the basment watchdog sump pump system with back up battery in my basement last summer. It has worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now, the alarm goes off every 24 hours and tells me I have a battery problem (either low charge or dirty connections). I cleaned the connections and tested the voltage of the battery, which is at normal levels. Any ideas how to fix this? I like the system, but do not relish walking down to the basement each morning to reset the alarm function. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

dgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeorge View Post
I like the system, but do not relish walking down to the basement each morning to reset the alarm function. Any suggestions...
Remote locate the alarm and reset button to a more convenient spot?

Quote:
It has worked fine until a few weeks ago. I cleaned the connections and tested the voltage of the battery, which is at normal levels. Any ideas how to fix this?
It sounds like Bulldog has a different criteria for what "normal levels" are than you do (or their gizmo is whacked). Do they have any published standards or battery test protocols? Cells? Charger output? Load? etc?

Some more detail to review:
http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

hth

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #3

I also have a battery backup watchdog.

What light is lit up on the panel? I'm guessing it might be "Water"

If it is, every so often you will need to remove the caps to the battery cells and add water to each one as the acid lowers. This will cause the alarm to sound. You are only shutting up the alarm for 24 hours every time you hit the button.

You can probably find the manual online which will explain this in more detail. You can also call the company, I'm sure they'll provide some support.
Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeorge View Post
I installed the basment watchdog sump pump system with back up battery in my basement last summer. It has worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now, the alarm goes off every 24 hours and tells me I have a battery problem (either low charge or dirty connections). I cleaned the connections and tested the voltage of the battery, which is at normal levels. Any ideas how to fix this? I like the system, but do not relish walking down to the basement each morning to reset the alarm function. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there, my name is Brian and I am the service manager for Glentronics, we produce the Basement Watchdog. I am sorry to hear of your issue and would be glad to help you out. Please feel free to contact me via phone or email, 800-991-0466 x25 or brianb@glentronics.com and I can assist you in taking care of this. Thank you
bribrog29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribrog29 View Post
Hi there, my name is Brian and I am the service manager for Glentronics, we produce the Basement Watchdog. I am sorry to hear of your issue and would be glad to help you out. Please feel free to contact me via phone or email, 800-991-0466 x25 or brianb@glentronics.com and I can assist you in taking care of this. Thank you

Straight to the source....I like it

assuming he is who he says he is, and works for who he says he works for.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #6

Don't use this system. I had a brand new system installed and the battery alarm goes off every 24 hours. Spoke with customer service and they said that the system will not work with non-watchdog batteries. Apparently they don't test it with other batteries. If the system was not tested with non-watchdog batteries, why give installation instructions? The problem happens often enough that they give you a direct contact number for the issue. Go with Little Giant. It's a more reliable and thought through product.
bridgemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgemen View Post
Don't use this system. I had a brand new system installed and the battery alarm goes off every 24 hours. Spoke with customer service and they said that the system will not work with non-watchdog batteries. Apparently they don't test it with other batteries. If the system was not tested with non-watchdog batteries, why give installation instructions? The problem happens often enough that they give you a direct contact number for the issue. Go with Little Giant. It's a more reliable and thought through product.

Bridgemen, the info you posted is not correct. The Basement Watchdog systems will work fine with other deep cycle marine batteries. There are some systems that don't work with sealed batteries, and the units cannot be used with automotive batteries, but any deep cycle marine battery would sufice. The direct contact number is for customer service, not just for that particular issue, but for any issue or question a customer might have. I am sorry that you ran into a problem here but it sounds like there was a miscommunication at some point about the batteries. The Watchdog back-up systems are very good and we stand behind them 100%. If anyone ever has a question or issue they can contact myself or anyone in service for help (800-991-0466 or service@glentronics.com).

bribrog29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement watchdog alarm