Basement - Tub & Sink Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement - Tub & Sink drain

I'm working on a basement that has roughed in plumbing for the sink, tub and toilet. I need to move the shower drain by about 3 feet (screwdriver marks the approx destination). As you can see from the pictures I already broke the concrete and I'm almost ready to start running the pipe. The sink rough-in is out the way and not in a good location either. I have the following questions:
1. Can I hook up the sink and the tub on one (shared) drain pipe? I was thinking on putting a Y-connector where the current P-trap resides and run a pipe upwards for the sink and then continue the pipe horizontally towards the tub...
2. I know that the drain pipe needs a 1/4" drop per linear foot. But does the drain pipe need an air vent of any sort? Or is the tub and shower over-flow act as an air vent?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement - Tub & Sink drain-img_2411.jpg   Basement - Tub & Sink drain-img_2412.jpg   Basement - Tub & Sink drain-img_2414.jpg   Basement - Tub & Sink drain-img_2415.jpg  

Advertisement

SnoSheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

You should be o.k. to put a 2in wye behind the trap and run the branch of the wye over to where the lav is going, off the lav fiting you will need to run a vent; run 2in until you are above the concrete and then you can reduce it to 1 1/2 for the vent.

Advertisement

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Pictures above show what's there right now. I want to remove the existing p-trap and convert it as shown in the attached drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement - Tub & Sink drain-targetstate.jpg  
SnoSheriff is offline   Reply With Quote