Basement Toilet Rough In - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Basement toilet rough in

I am getting my basement ready for the plumbing rough in inspection. Right now it already has the big pipe sticking out of the cement for the toilet. Am I correct in assuming that I just leave that for now, then do the flooring around it after the inspection is done, then cut it flush with the floor and install a toilet flange?

Also do the toilet flanges just get glued into the existing drain pipe and screwed into the floor?

Advertisement

epeterson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Basement toilet rough in

For most rough-in inspections, the pipe is just plugged with a test plug. Hopefully, there is something around the pipe that can be removed, such as insulation, to allow the flange to go down far enough to meet your final height. Flanges are either flush with the finished floor or sitting on top of it. In both situations, the flange is screwed down.

Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #3

Basement toilet rough in

It all depends on the size of the pipe. If it is 4" pvc then yes you can finish the rest of the project.(pouring of the concrete, laying of tile...) Then the 4" pipe gets cut flush with finished floor, they sell a flange that is pvc that will either slip into 4" pvc or over 3" pvc, and the flange is simply glued into the pipe, if it is 3" pipe then before the concrete is poured you must rap the pipe in something that will be easy to remove after the concrete is poured. your best bet is pipe insulation, but just use your head and think of a material you can put on the pipe to give you that gap between concrete and pipe. the 3" pipe will have to be cut slightly below the concrete to get the flange to sit fluch with F.F. It will be a good investment to buy a pipe shooter(inside cutter), there only like 6-10$, and well worth it, just make sure to stuff something in the pipe before you cut incase it falls out of your drill.
zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Basement toilet rough in

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeterson777 View Post
I am getting my basement ready for the plumbing rough in inspection. Right now it already has the big pipe sticking out of the cement for the toilet. Am I correct in assuming that I just leave that for now, then do the flooring around it after the inspection is done, then cut it flush with the floor and install a toilet flange?

Also do the toilet flanges just get glued into the existing drain pipe and screwed into the floor?
Is the pipe Cast iron, or PVC. here in my locale we must use cast iron through and under concrete. which then will determine what type of flange. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #5

Basement toilet rough in

It is 4" ABS with a cap glued on. The concrete is already poured. It was put in before I moved in so I didn't have to break the concrete. Fortunately it does have some blue foam wrapped around it then can be pulled out with a needle nose pliers. So it sounds like I should be good. It sticks up about 8 inches right now, so I'll just get my inspection with it the way it is .
epeterson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #6

Basement toilet rough in

then Zosoplumbers advice is right on. and that saw he was talking about is a great tool for the job. BOB
Old 01-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #7

Basement toilet rough in

hey buletbob, do they make that type of flange in ABS, I never work with the stuff.
zosoplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #8

Basement toilet rough in

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosoplumber View Post
hey buletbob, do they make that type of flange in ABS, I never work with the stuff.
Are you refurring to the flange from the other post? if so I couldn,t say! I have only seen it used on Cast iron.

Advertisement