Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #1

Share |

Basement Sump Pump for Roof Water

I have a dry basement. No problems from rainwater ever leaking into my basement.

I was forced to disconnect my downspouts that were tied in the basement to the city sewer. Because of space limitation and lack of sufficient space to manage the water on that side of the house, i disconnected the pipe in the basement carrying the rainwater to the sewer line in the basement and connected it to a sump pump which then redirects the water out of the basement and to the opposite side of the house to a dry well system.

However, now that the system is all put together as the rainwater gets into the sump pit- it all drains out the bottom through perforations in the pit and goes into the ground below my house. The rainwater rate has not been enough yet to activate the sump because it drains out the bottom rather than building up.

I am concerned because now I am directing all my rainwater to below my foundation.

Should I plug the holes so the system works as intended to direct the water to the front yard dry well?

I understand that holes allow groundwater to trickle into the pit so that I can then redirect the water away from the house. However, I do not have this problem. Do I need the holes if no water actually is entering the pit from below the foundation? I am concerned that I should not be redirecting the water to below my pit, foundation.

Advice?
housefixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

Outside water should never be directed to a sump in a basement, that's one great way to end up with a flooded basement, and mess up your whole basement slab.
Rain waters not even suppost to be running into the sewer or city storm drains.
The whole idea of installing gutters is to keep the water from getting into the basement.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

My house was build back in the day when people tied their downspouts to the city sewer. This is no longer code and the city has forced me to disconnect through their program.

The downspouts cannot be simply disconnected and let flow into the yard, because there isn't one there on that side of the house. Its in the city.

The city has contracted a plumber who has done this work.

I was not excited about the plan either.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #4

I have all my down spouts running into sch. 20 PVC solid drain pipe that runs underground to a pit with a sump pump in it to run the water out to the steet. You could do the same thing just run it to your drywell.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #5

where is your sump pump located then? if i have mine stay in the basement, should i just plug the holes so it actually does pump out to my drywell? right now the water is just running out the bottom of the pit under my slab.