Basement Sink Runs To Hole In Floor?!?!? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Work Hard, Play Harder

Rewards Points: 150

Basement Sink Runs to Hole in floor?!?!?

I have a basement sink that was rusting out. We were going to replace it with a simple one (The plastic single sink). It also needs to be smaller as our sump pump needs to move closer to it to be up to code. Many people commented that it looked like just a pipe in the ground.

Turns out it was? There seems to be pipe underneath it; but it wasn't connected at all; pipes weren't even the same size.

I have no idea what to do?!?!?! I had purchased a new sink and gotten it mostly pre-plumbed; it included one of those one way air valves (can't remember name). My "Codes For Homeowners" books said it would be up to code for a basement sink. I'm pretty sure running a pipe into here is wrong and not up to code...

Aren't sewer gases coming up from here?!?!

Further; drain tile is going in around this entire perimeter; will there be room for this anymore? Sooooo lost.

Advertisement

Last edited by coderguy; 04-03-2011 at 07:45 PM.
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Pretending to be Retired

Rewards Points: 75

What does the washing machine drain to? Looks like they drained the sink into the foundation drainage rock. I see all sorts of potential problems.Sewer type of gas, and even Radon gas getting into the house. Can you drain the sink into the washing machine drain?

Advertisement

BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Work Hard, Play Harder

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD9 View Post
What does the washing machine drain to? Looks like they drained the sink into the foundation drainage rock. I see all sorts of potential problems.Sewer type of gas, and even Radon gas getting into the house. Can you drain the sink into the washing machine drain?
Washing machine is current not operational; as it drained into this sink.
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Looks like an old floor drain connection, also looks original. I would suggest running a hose and water into it to verify where the water goes. Look in the pit while water is running. If it goes to the sump pit, running a sink with organics into it is typically not Code compliant, that requires an ejector pit.
Is there a cast stack within 5' of that floor connection, is there a clean-out Y at the bottom of the stack? If so then take the cleanout plug off and see if the water goes in there, if so you should be Ok. Unless the pipe is rusted out or broken. If the stack is within 5' the drain will typically be considered vented. You'll need to check local codes for specific requirements.
There are various connectors you can buy to properly make the connection. You should install a P-trap on the sink drain.
Hope that helps
MarkusAIC is offline   Reply With Quote