Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Shower smells

I have a basement with a bathroom (shower, toilet, sink), in addition we have a septic tank which the main drain is about 5 - 6 feet off the floor. The bathroom drains into some sort of contained/sealed sump where a pump runs when the waste reaches a certain level (I'm guessing it has some sort of float that triggers it to turn on). Anyhow, as winter approaches we tend to spend more time inside but the basement smells like septic.

If I use the shower the smell tends to go away for a little while. I read some other threads regarding a P-Trap being required/code for all shower drains, is there a requirement as to the location of the P-Trap in relation to the actual drain from the shower? I just used the shower 2 days ago and took a flashlight tonight and shined it down the drain much to my surprise (no water). Could the P-Trap be a few feet or inches away from the drain? The shower and toilet are up on a raised wooden platform, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to take that apart to confirm if I actually have a P-Trap or not. Any ideas?

wdodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Basement Shower smells

put your ear to the shower drain and have someone flush the toilet in that bathroom. See if you can hear the water in the pipe. If you hear the water you have no trap or no water in it.

plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #3

Basement Shower smells

The toilet has it's own drain pipe into the sump but I did notice that the sink shares the drain pipe with the shower. Either way I'll try the toilet and the sink just to see what I hear. If I hear water from the sink when it is running is it possible the P-Trap is after the join somewhere?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #4

Basement Shower smells

no two fixtures should share a trap. so if you do have them sharing a trap then you need to repipe the drains.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #5

Basement Shower smells

The shower is definetly missing a trap. My guess is that when I use the shower I'm basically cleaning out the toilet droppings that are sitting in the sump/well as the pump goes on and off a good 3 - 4 times when the shower runs.

So the sink has the standard P-Trap under the sink and then joins the shower drain pipe at a y junction from a top feed. The piping is standard 2" PVC so can I just cut a P-Trap in anywhere between the drain from the shower and the y junction or do the shower and drain need to have seperate lines directly into the sump?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #6

Basement Shower smells

the trap should be directly under the shower drain.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #7

Basement Shower smells

Thanks Jim for your help, now I know what next weekends project is.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #8

Basement Shower smells

No problem, good luck.