Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement shower plumbing question.

I'm putting a neo-angle shower stall in my basement. I have a Saniflo macerating unit that the water will flow too.

My question is...what is the best way to put the trap in? Should I build a base that is 8" high to sit my shower on or should I dig out the concrete (where the trap will go)? If I dig out the concrete, I'll still have to build a base so I have the fall that I need to the Saniflo, but it would only probably be 3" instead of the 8. Thanks ahead of time! Mike

ps: Any tips would be helpful also on putting in a neo-angle basement shower stall! My first time and I'm a DIYer.

medicmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #2

I installed a neo-round shower in my new basement bathroom last fall and just built a platform 6" off the slab to allow trap installation. I had to cover the outside face with a thin sheet of wood, then placed decorative tile over that (which matched the floor). The setup works perfectly! If you have specific questions, private message me and I can send you some photographs of the process. Hope this helps.

Last edited by seismic744; 04-09-2010 at 02:25 PM.
seismic744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I'm in the process of installing a full bath with the Sanibest pump system, with a neo-angle shower from lowes. Due to ceiling height issues I didn't want to build the floor to high for the shower, so I chose to build on 2x6, with a piece of 3/4" plywood, but I did have to chisel out about an 1" of concrete for the p-trap to sit in. (I also only used 1 1/2" pipe for the drain, but I believe code may call for 2"), which will obviously require more clearance.

I know Saniflo recommends using 3/4" drain pipe for the pump station, it seems small, but what did you decide to use?
vtboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
CKSedg

I would never want to step up 8" to get in and out of a shower when it is wet. I think that is a tremendous safety problem! I have done this many times: rent an electric jack hammer, remove enough concrete to put in a trap in the right place. Make sure you have the fall needed (generally 1/4" per foot on a pipe 3" diameter or less), and then re-pour concrete over the new pipe. Do it right---you'll never be sorry!
CKSedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #5

Staring the same type of project, looking for ideas on how to finish the shower riser.
mrkestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkestrel View Post
Staring the same type of project, looking for ideas on how to finish the shower riser.
Please start a new thread on the subject---few people will answer this when they see how old it is---Mike----