Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
twags

Share |

Basement shower filling with water from upstairs sink.

Hello all,

I am having an issue with the my basement shower (small - approximate 2.5' X 2.5' shower - lowest drain in the house) filling with water from my upstairs sink. The plumbing from my sink / dishwater goes down through the drain in the basement shower. My bathrooms' plumbing upstairs take a different path so there is no sewage going through this drain.

I have tried liquid plumber a couple times without success. I have also tried a hand snake and plunger. I have been using my shop vac. to suck the water out. I will plunger, then put the hose of the shop vac. down the drain for a while attempting to suck anything out that may be stuck. The drain will "work" (the shower basin will fill up then drain slowly - can't use too much water or it will overflow) for about a 1 - 2 weeks before I have to use the plunger / shop vac. again.

Does anyone have any advise on how to fix this problem? I am hoping it's not a serious issue where I need to have my front yard dug up and have the pipes replaced (major obstruction / roots growing through the pipes)! Maybe an "power snake" will do the job? Any advise would be appreciated...thanks!!

Tim.

twags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #2

A do it yourself power snake will probably not cut a large enough hole through roots in the pipe evn thought it goes all the way through.

I wouls suggest having a professional come in to clear out the main drain line.

twags (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
twags

OK, will do...thanks Allen!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #4

be cautious of the big franchise operations Their techs. work on commission and will try to upsale whether you need it or not. Just my opinion. If in doubt, get a second opinion from a service plumber who can run a sewer-cam in the pipe!
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
twags

Great advice about the franchise operations and I haven't heard of a sewer cam.

I am very cautious when I get anything repaired. Just like some mechanics when you go get your car fixed - upsale!! So I TRY to learn as much as possible and do the work myself. Some things (like in this case) I really need a professional. I think I know someone that will come out and give me a fair assessment.

Thanks again!!