Basement Shower - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

basement shower

I have been reading some of the posts regarding a basement shower drain, but I wanted to ask my own questions so here we go:

I want to add a shower to a half bath and use the existing sink drain. I assume it is vented since we have no smell in basement though at high volume water drains quite slow( maybe clogged up from washer?). Is it possible to set the shower in top of that drain and also connect the sink and washer? Would you guys, that have experience, suggest something like that?

Advertisement

AL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

basement shower

what size pipe is coming out of the floor for your drain? if it's 1.5" than you can't put a shower as it requires 2". If you are unsure about how much work is going to be involved find a plumber with a free or a cheap estimate and see what he thinks. There are a number of things that need to be considered before switching things around like that.

and also welcome to the forums

Advertisement

immeraufdemhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

basement shower

thanks
I definitely have a 2 inch pipe coming out, sink and washer is hooked up to it.
I will follow your advice and get a quote, but I was thinking about putting a shower on top off this drain because the bath is right next to it, I just wasn't sure if the pipe will be able to accommodate 3 devices
looks like a metal pipe coming from the floor
AL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

basement shower

You got me confused, a shower has to have a trap under it, how do you plan on adding the other fixtures?
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

basement shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
You got me confused, a shower has to have a trap under it, how do you plan on adding the other fixtures?

that's why I recommended the getting a quote, amongst other things. Changing from cast or galvinized can be difficult to do properly with just normal house tools. If you hire a contractor to do it he'll have access to tools (either because he owns them or can rent them for cheap) draw back is, it is going to be expensive.

I don't think you'll be able to have 3 fixtures with that shower because you'd have a wet vent, and those typically are not allowed, but check with the contractor and see what he says.
immeraufdemhund is offline   Reply With Quote