Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #1

Share |

basement shower

I have a single story house and if I wanted to add a shower in my basement obviously I would run the trap and drain line into the main sewer line under the slab but to vent it I would have to run a vent line up and over the first floor fixtures, correct? Otherwise I would be wet venting between floors, which is not allowed.

markharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #2

basement shower

If there are other vents in the basement, you can connect to them as long as you're 6" above the flood rim- usually 42" above the floor.
A shower will require a 1.5" vent.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #3

basement shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
If there are other vents in the basement, you can connect to them as long as you're 6" above the flood rim- usually 42" above the floor.
A shower will require a 1.5" vent.
If I connect a vent in the basement then the shower would be wet vented by the first floor fixtures, correct?
Old 04-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

basement shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharmon View Post
If I connect a vent in the basement then the shower would be wet vented by the first floor fixtures, correct?
Only if you connect it to a waste stack. Do you have other fixtures in the basement? How are they vented?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #5

basement shower

Quote:
Only if you connect it to a waste stack. Do you have other fixtures in the basement? How are they vented?
yes a toilet and laundry tub both just run into the main waste stack. I have fixtures on the first floor though obviously. if I added a shower in the basement wouldn't i have re-vent it up and over the first floor?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #6

basement shower

Quote:
yes a toilet and laundry tub both just run into the main waste stack. I have fixtures on the first floor though obviously. if I added a shower in the basement wouldn't i have re-vent it up and over the first floor?
Since the other basement fixtures are not vented, then I see 2 options- vent as you suggest, or add a mech vent (AAV) on the shower.
AAV's need to be accessible at all times.
ben's plumbing (04-28-2013), jaydevries (04-28-2013), oh'mike (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #7

basement shower

Quote:
Since the other basement fixtures are not vented, then I see 2 options- vent as you suggest, or add a mech vent (AAV) on the shower.
AAV's need to be accessible at all times.
So, either revent up and over first floor or AAV? Now if my basement toilet and laundry tub were vented your saying I could tie into one of those branch vents serving one of those two fixtures?
Old 04-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #8

basement shower

Quote:
So, either revent up and over first floor or AAV? Now if my basement toilet and laundry tub were vented your saying I could tie into one of those branch vents serving one of those two fixtures?
yes as long as its above the flood rim..42" above floor..ben sr
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #9

basement shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
Assuming the basement fixtures were vented and I went this route wouldn't the first floor fixtures still be wet venting the shower since its in the basement?
Old 04-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #10

basement shower

Quote:
Another quick question. The floor rim level. Is that where the trap waste arm is or the actual sink rim itself? I get confused by that.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #11

basement shower

Quote:
Assuming the basement fixtures were vented and I went this route wouldn't the first floor fixtures still be wet venting the shower since its in the basement?
not if the basement fixtures were vented from basement through roof by themselves...
Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #12

basement shower

Quote:
Here is a method of venting a bath room group. It does not matter if it's in the basement or the 5th floor. All the fixtures in this case are vented to one common vent stack.
This common vent rises up through the floor and can then connect to another vent 6" above the flood rim of the fixture served on the upper floor- in this case it's the lav's rim
Attached Images

ben's plumbing (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #13

basement shower

Quote:
not if the basement fixtures were vented from basement through roof by themselves...
If they were just ran as a vent stack and then tied into the main stack vent then I could just run the new shower vent line up and tie into the vent stack serving the basement fixtures?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #14

basement shower

Quote:
Here is a method of venting a bath room group. It does not matter if it's in the basement or the 5th floor. All the fixtures in this case are vented to one common vent stack.
This common vent rises up through the floor and can then connect to another vent 6" above the flood rim of the fixture served on the upper floor- in this case it's the lav's rim
So in the picture that is basically a secondary vent stack or would it be a waste/vent stack since it says main. Bottom portion being the waste stack. Fixtures below this floor would then need to re-vent up and and over and tie in to this stack 6" above the flood level? Otherwise you would be wet venting the floor below its fixtures. Am I correct?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #15

basement shower

Quote:
So in the picture that is basically a secondary vent stack or would it be a waste/vent stack since it says main. Bottom portion being the waste stack. Fixtures below this floor would then need to re-vent up and and over and tie in to this stack 6" above the flood level? Otherwise you would be wet venting the floor below its fixtures. Am I correct?
yes...