Basement Rough-in; What The Heck Are These?? (Part Deux!) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 89

Basement Rough-in; What the heck are these?? (Part deux!)

So, thanks to ccleme11 for his thread title Basement Rough-in; What the heck are these??

I'm doing the same thing, looking to install a bathroom in our basement and am wondering which pipes are for what.

Here's a diagram of what is there. 3" I'm assuming is for the toilet, but I'm not sure about the sink and shower drains since the two pipes are so close to each other. There's also a 1-1/2" capped pipe in the ceiling I'm assuming for a single vent, but not sure which (or if all) 3 pieces can vent to it, or if the toilet has to be vented to the main stack (just off to the left in this picture). Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Rough-in; What the heck are these?? (Part deux!)-basement_bathroom.jpg  

Advertisement

DIYguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

The 3 is the toilet, the 1.5 is the lav, and the 2 is the shower/tub. This has been said so many times on this forum that it is no longer funny. If you have to ask, you should really get a plumber in to give you a hand, as DIYers that have done plumbing know this out of hand. Yes PVC Pipe is easy to work with if you know the tricks. Plumbing theory takes some study to understand.

Advertisement

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 552

i agree with jagans
but you will have to hook the 1 1/2 pipe from floor to ceiling and arm over from that pipe 14 to 18 inches high to sink location.
check for trap on 2 inch and then you will need a above floor rough-in tub.
if no window in bath you will need exhaust fan also

try a good plumbing reference book like this one
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide...7/ref=rec_dp_0
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips. I'm sure I won't be the first to admit that I know very little about plumbing, but I'm the type of guy that wants to make sure no detail is overlooked and that it's done properly and to code. It usually takes me weeks to research and plan exactly how I do my projects, so this was merely the starting line to make sure I knew the right pipes were there for my purposes.

Thanks for the book suggestion, I'll have to look into that, or check if my local library has anything similar.

There is no window, so I know I was going to have to vent it outside with an exhaust fan.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,746

Install your 2 by 4 wall so it will put the 1 1/2 pipe in the wall. That you will use to pick up your lavatory sink and run its vent to the capped vent. install the wall behind the toilet so your at a 13" to center from stud face of the wall. The lavatory drain will usually be at 19" center off the floor. Purchase a left hand tub for the other drain .

You will need a 5 foot side to side clearance on the tub and 30 to 32 inch clearance from back to front of tub. The lavatory drain is piped through the wall and it can go about 6 foot max from the vent. Use a tee fitting in the verticle to pick up the lav drain with ptrap under the lav.

The top of the tee gos up and to your vent. Make sure it is all pitched towards the sewer and self draining.

19" to center off the floor where you stick out of wall for the lav, lav pedestals may differ.

Bad news you will need to break the concrete around the toilet pipe carefully to install a toilet flange. It should attach to the outside of your pipe with glue.

If you pipe is PVC ( WHITE} you will need PVC glue and primer and all fittings and pipe should be PVC. Make sure that it has a stamp in the plastic saying DWV.

If your pipe is black ABS you will need the same fittings and pipe and ABS glue.. DO NOT mix ABS and PVC fittings or pipe. They are 2 different plastics and will not melt together in a correct fashion...

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 03-26-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #6

Sorry, I should have specified that the wall's are already framed and my measurements are from face of stud wall to rear of pipe. So stud wall to center of 3" is 15-1/2", stud wall to center of 2" is 7", and stud wall to center of 1-1/2" is 3-3/4".

For the toilet drain, will I just be left with a large gap behind the toilet, or is there a way to correct for this? (i.e., toilet design, or will I have to break out the concrete and move it back a few inches?)

For the lav vent I'll just place a couple elbows to put the vent in the wall.

We were planning on putting a standup shower in the upper right hand corner of the drawing, so I'm guessing I'm going to have to break out the concrete and extend the drain to under the shower (location would be specific to whatever shower we buy I guess).

all pipe is black ABS

Last edited by DIYguy2000; 03-26-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #7

On another note, there's no floor drain in our basement. The house is about 7 years old and we moved in about a year and a half ago. I'm in Ontario, Canada, so I'm not sure if a floor drain is required by code?

If there is one, the previous owners may have floored over it, who knows. Is the best way to camera it to find out? Or since I'm going to be breaking up the concrete floor for repositioning the plumbing for the bathroom, should I just place a floor drain in the middle of the bathroom? The furnace drain line goes into a very small abs hole in the concrete slab. (this hole probably wouldn't do a whole lot if there was ever a water leak in the basement). I haven't looked to see if it drains to beneath the slab, or if it actually ties into the main sanitary service. It's close to where the main stack goes under the slab.

Advertisement