Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #1

Share |

Basement Rough In Question

Hi,

Just thinking of developing my basement. My builder has installed a rough in for a bathroom. I have a question about it.

This is all new to me but thought I would do what I can to save some money.

Anyway, the shower drain seems a bit odd to me. Its a 2" pipe but its inside of another larger pipe. That is the part that doesnt make sense. Also there is a stack beside it, which I assume is the drain for the sink. Where are they tied into a vent?? I only assume the builder has done this.

Thanks
Attached Images

Herc753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Anyway, the shower drain seems a bit odd to me. Its a 2" pipe but its inside of another larger pipe.
The larger pipe is used as a sleeve through the concrete so that the drain from your shower is protected when coming up through the slab.

Quote:
Also there is a stack beside it, which I assume is the drain for the sink. Where are they tied into a vent??
Looks about right for a bathroom sink, As for where it ties into the vent system it's gotta be up above where the pic is taken.

I imagine that this was done when the house was built, and you're now finishing the basement? A rough-in like this is pretty common when houses are built these days future use.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #3

any thoughts on whether there is a p-trap already installed in that shower drain? Or am I going to have to break up the concrete to install one for a shower. Seems kinda dumb that there wouldnt be one, kinda defeats the purpose of having the plumbing roughed in if I have to break up the concrete to finish the job.
Herc753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #4

I cannot guarantee other people's work, but you're right in that if they do a rough in for future use, then a P trap would have to be included if it was inspected.

Having said that you can verify if there's one yourself. You'll need to get the cap off the drain and then pour a few cups of water down there. If you can see water there after you've finished pouring, then you have a trap. If you can't, then you don't. It's that simple.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote