Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement rough-ins help

Like so many, I am finishing my basement and would like some help verifying the rough-ins.
The pipes from left to right are:
1. 2" vent obviously. There is not another vent nearby, and I don't want to run up along the outside of the house, any other ideas?
2. Then a 3 1/2" with no trap about 21" off the foundation wall which gives me pretty close to 12" to center from a finished wall for a toilet
3. Next is a 2" with a trap I bet is for shower drain (is this connected under slab to the vent?),
4. last is a 4" flush with the floor and has a threaded flush cap. This is the one I am wondering about most. It goes underground deeper than the others and although is about 17" from the foundation wall, would not allow enough room for a finished 2x4 wall. The second picture shows how it goes down about 16 inches then bends back toward the foundation and then looks like it drops down again.
Sorry this is long but wanted to give you guys enough detail to work with.
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Basement rough-ins help-plumbing-sm.jpg   Basement rough-ins help-4in-plumb.jpg  

brianfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 510

Basement rough-ins help

the one you are calling a vent is probably a wet vent. which means it is a vent and also a drain for the sink unless there is another pipe for sink not in pic. i am going to assume this was an inspected rough in which would mean that the wet vent vents shower and toilet if needed depending on what code you fall under. and depending on age of house but most newer codes require a vent rough in so look around the floor joists for a pipe that is capped and that is for the vent. if not one you will have to use an air admittance valve
http://www.oatey.com/Channel/Shared/...2%AE+AAVs.html

the second pic is a clean out and probably also for test balloon for testing house drain lines for leaks

jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Basement rough-ins help

House is four years old, and no other pipes. Just the four. I haven't seen a capped vent over head but I will look again.
I never thought about an air admittance valve. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!
brianfriend is offline   Reply With Quote