DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Basement Renovation Planning: Help!

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  navi_jen 
#1 ·
Hi,
I purchased an 1918 farmhouse in Boston suburbs last fall. Its got a sloping lot, so the back half of the unfinished basement is walk out. It's a small house (1.75 stories, 2 beds, 1 bath, 1000 square feet) so somewhere down the line, I'd like to add a family room (and potentially a half or 3/4 bath) in the basement.

However, I need to replace the existing heating, electric, kitchen and bath before I get to the basement renovation. However, while I have all the walls open upstairs, there anything I should do NOW to faciliate this later basement build-out (particularly for the bath)?

For those who are plumbing inclined, I'm assuming I would need a sewage ejector, but not really sure how those work. Also, for some reason, even though I only have 1 kitchen and 1 bath, there are already 2 vent stacks that protrude up to the roof. Can I repurpose one of those for the sewage ejector? Existing waste stack is a mix of 4' cast iron & pvc...will be replacing all to 4' pvc. Also, sewer ladder unfortunately enters the basement approx 5 feet off the floor on the front side of the house.

Electric panel is easily accessible, as its in the basement.

Thanks in advance... Jen

PS: Attachments in order are:
1-Existing 1st floor
2-Existing 2nd floor
3-Planned renovation, 1st floor
4-Planned renovation, 2nd floor
5-Planned renovation, basement

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.