Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

basement problems

there is water coming up from the floor through the cracks of my basement and when i do landury and theres water coming through the sewer of my basement when it rains. i just wanted to know why is this happening what i can do

dola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #2

basement problems

Start by going around the outside of the house to see if water is collecting on the ground at or near the house. If so you need to fix that, possibly involving regrading the land.

Do you already have a sump pump?

There may also be the problem of the ground being too saturated with water around your house, that is referred to as the water table being too high relative to your house and basement. Additional or other fixes are quite expensive.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Owner

basement problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dola View Post
there is water coming up from the floor through the cracks of my basement and when i do landury and theres water coming through the sewer of my basement when it rains. i just wanted to know why is this happening what i can do
A combination of problems is occuring. First off, it sounds as though you have a problem with proper drainage of rain and groundwater around the perimeter of your home and foundation. Secondly, your main sewer line from the house to the street is probably made of clay tile, or Orangeburg (Bituminous Fiber). It's not water tight because of cracks, breaks, root-intrusions, offset joints, etc. In which case you're not only having problems with inflow and infiltration during times of heavy rain, but you're also contaminating the ground with untreated waste water. Both problems will require excavation, and appropriate professional help to remedy.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

basement problems

What lateral said;

IMO, I would first get the drain lines repaired and then do everything that can be done at the surface outside to make water go away from the house. Gutters, runouts, grading, possibly removing vegetation. That's plenty for this fall before winter. Then you can see where you're at.
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote