Basement Plumbing Help - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

basement plumbing help

A month or so ago I moved my washing machine from my basement to my top floor - with the help I should say of some great people on this message board!! Everything came out great!

In any case, I am now thinking of putting in a sink and toilet in the basement where the washing machine was. Unfortunately, I thought this would be much easier until I found the "vent" for the washing machine going into the ceiling wasn't connected to anything - the previous plumber just faked it to pass inspection. I've attached a sketch of what I want to do in the basement. Unfortunately the main stack is located behind the wall in my tenants apartment and I can't start breaking up his finished floor or walls. Coming out of the floor where the washing machine is connected, there is a 3" PVC pipe with a red fitting on it to accept the 2" drain for the washing machine coming down from the top floor. I am assuming that the 3" pvc runs to the 4" drain somewhere beneath my slab - the wife is going to love me with all the concrete breaking about to happen. In any case, since I can't run a vent to the roof now - not without breaking up a TON of stuff - I was hoping I could use an AAV. If someone could look at my awful drawing and offer any suggestions I would be very appreciative. I am assuming of course that under no circumstances can I run a vent out of the side of my hosue??

Thank you!!!
Attached Thumbnails
basement plumbing help-basement-plumbing-sketch.jpg  

Advertisement

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

basement plumbing help

how are you venting the upstairs washing mach.now?

Advertisement

rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #3

basement plumbing help

The laundry is now on the top floor so I ran an 1-1/2" vent into the attic and tied into an existing vent from the upstairs bathroom. If I had to bring up another vent pipe it wouldn't be the end of the world, but if I could use an AAV it would save me a lot of work.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

basement plumbing help

You didn't run the 2" future vent for the eventual basement bathroom?
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #5

basement plumbing help

you don't forget much!! Thank you again by the way - everything really came out great!! I was going to run the future vent, then there was no way to come up the same chase with another 2" pipe. So I decided if I was going to eventually add in the bathroom downstairs there was actually an easier way to run the vent. If you could picture the house, typical two upper floors and basement, the basement laundry room will be in the back right hand corner of the house. The laundry room was moved to the mid right hand side of the house on the top floor - so instead of me coming back 25' with the vent and up the wall (under where the laundry room is), only to go back 25' towards the back of the house when I reached the attic (the vent goes through the roof at the back of the house closer to the left side) i figured I could come up the back right corner of the house - break a hole in the wall on the first floor and on the second floor - go into the attic and tie in the vent there. Before I did all that I wanted to see if I could use an AAV but it seems like everyone I speak to tells me to avoid them. I think the only thing I left out in the picture is the vent coming off the 3" line for the toilet.

Thanks again for all your help - I'm going to post a picture of the finished laundry room - unfortunately the walls are all closed so you can't see the plumbing but it really came out nice - except for the green paint the wife picked out =)
Old 01-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

basement plumbing help

The AAV is fine for a temporary arrangement. When you finally get around to doing the basement bathroom and running that vent, you can cut off the AAV and tie the sink vent into that bathroom vent.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #7

basement plumbing help

Thank you,

I was looking at this last night and I am just going to come up the back right wall of the house with a 2" vent and tie into my existing vent in the attic. Only have to break sheetrock in two places so no big deal - the wife wanted to repaint one of the rooms anyway =)

Does everything else on the sketch look ok? I was figuring on using a 3x2 heel fitting for the toilet (or a 3x2 wye - depending on space) and run that 2 " vent right up the wall and then bring over the 1-1/2" vent for the sink - does that make sense??

Thank you again all!!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #8

basement plumbing help

u can wet vent your toilet with you lav if you run 2" instead of 1-1/2" for your lav drain,use a 2"X1-1/2" t for the lav and run that for your vent.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #9

basement plumbing help

Thank you - makes sense. Can i just do it like this......

I would assume it is best to use a 3x2 wye - is it ok if that wye is on the horizontal as long as the pitch is correct?

Thank you very much!!
Attached Thumbnails
basement plumbing help-basement-plumbing-sketch-2.jpg  
Old 01-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #10

basement plumbing help

just remember to use long sweep 90s on the 2".u are 1 regular 90 on a stool branch.

Advertisement