Basement Plumbing - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement plumbing

Hey there, looking for some advice on a couple things as I plan out a big basement finishing project. So, far just searching this site has already helped a ton! I'm just north of Indy.

The house is only 2-3 years old and has a rough in for a full bathroom along with an ejector pit and sump pump. The vent for the ejector comes up from the pit and makes a "T" with one side heading to the outside vent, the other towards the bathroom. I have read that it is preffered to have the ejector not share a vent, but I would assume since it is in the bathroom are, they intended for it to be shared with the sink vent. The toilet and shower are plumbed but there is no piping for a vent for either of those. The shower drain is 6' to 7' from the sink. I've attached an image with notes of the layout.

So, Question #1 - Am I good to go with venting the sink to the ejector pit vent and not having dedicated vents for the toilet or shower in this setup?

Also, we would like to add a laundry area and kitchen area off to the right as you are facing the bathroom area. (The view in the picture) about 15' in from the corner the shower is on. For that...

Question #2 - Can I tie both the laundry and kitchen drains back into the 2" drain in the bathroom. I believe I have enough room for the proper slope...

Question #3 - Should I run that vent PVC all the way around as well and use that, or install AAVs for the laundry and sink. (my house has an aav already in the main kitchen, so they are allowed in my area)

Thanks for any wisdom on this! As a side note, I don't need permits for any of this. I called and checked and in Westfield, IN when the house was built they already approved the basement as part of the livable house (it has egress, fire alarms, etc) so it is up to me to make sure I do it right and safe. (or hire someone!!

Thanks! Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Basement plumbing-wp_000176.jpg  

Advertisement

TimMauriello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,620

Basement plumbing

I'll answer according to code I use:
1. yes, if it is 2" (I'm assuming the toilet vent is the lav drain) Is there a vent riser near the shower?

2. That is a large fixture load on the toilet vent. I couldn't do it per my code.

3. Sounds like AAV's are legal. I'd do it.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Basement plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber
I'll answer according to code I use:
1. yes, if it is 2" (I'm assuming the toilet vent is the lav drain) Is there a vent riser near the shower?

2. That is a large fixture load on the toilet vent. I couldn't do it per my code.

3. Sounds like AAV's are legal. I'd do it.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the insights, to answer your questions...

There is not a vent riser for the shower. I can only assume they figured that the lav drain/vent is the vent for the system. Its about 7' from the lav to the shower.

I can use an AAV for the new kitchen and laundry area.

So, to be clear, would adding a laundry and kitchen drain connect and drain into the 2" lav drain be OK?

Thanks,
TimMauriello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,620

Basement plumbing

I suppose you could put the sink and laundry on the 2" toilet vent. It maxes out the wet vent code that I work with, but I'm not in IN. so I can't say for sure. Will it drain? Yes. Will your toilet and shower function properly when the those fixtures are draining into the toilet vent? Don't know for sure.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote