Basement Floor Drain Causing Me Anxiety - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement floor drain causing me anxiety

Last night we had some heavy rains come through. I was in the basement and noticed the water level seen through the floor drain was higher than usual. I freaked out and grabbed some rags and sat there watching the drain to see if it was going to get any higher... it didn't. It eventually went back down to a lower level.

My house was built in 1958, I assume this drain has a trap and then connects to the sewer line and heads out to the street. I figured the only way the water level could rise would be if the sewer line was backing up. To test this theory when the level was high I went upstairs and flushed the toilet a couple of times. I ran downstairs afterwards to see the response in water level in the floor drain. It didn't change at all. Does that make sense?

I've heard some basement floor drains just dump into the soil under the floor. If this was true the rising water would coincide with the groud table rising... I don't know

I want to install a floor drain float plug but i can't find any that fit my drain. It looks like I have a 2 3/4" floor drain pipe and all I can find online is 2" and 3".

Any help is much appreciated!!
Thanks

Advertisement

tondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Basement floor drain causing me anxiety

Quote:
I freaked out and grabbed some rags and sat there watching the drain to see if it was going to get any higher... it didn't. It eventually went back down to a lower level.
Ayuh,.... Sounds like you're frettin' over Nothin'.....
It's been working Just Fine for 50 Years,... What makes you think it won't continue to do so,..??

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote