Basement Floods And Have Some Questions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement floods and have some questions

My mom bought a house back in '05 (I was 15 years old at the time) and the previous owner did not tell us that the basement flooded BADLY. ( my mom won't sue them or anything and she is under a lot of stress right now) Well every year during rainy seasons the basement would get flooded. The worst part is the water heater gets knocked out like 6 times during the rainy seasons. I realized the purpose for the hole in the basement now. Since we have a sump pump we never put it in the hole to keep the basement from flooding. I would like to know what is the best way to pipe the sump pump to lead outside so it drains away from the house? Like use PVC pipe or just use the plastic house that came with it? Since I have moved out I would like to do this for my mom as a farewell gift. I don't know the specific model of the pump.

I am sorry if it hard to understand that big run on sentence. I have so many questions to ask I don't know where to begin and when trying to ask I screw up how I want to say it.

Advertisement

andyroo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Hose or pipe -- doesn't really matter. Just get it as far away from the house as possible. If you really want to help, you should think about digging some drainage all around the house. Also, make sure the gutters are clean and working properly. You should attach some drain pipe to the downspouts and route those away from the house as well. This will help big time with the volume of water making it in.

Advertisement

jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:49 PM   #3

Yeah we have those on all the spouts I even put dirt hill (to run the water away from the house) but still gets under the concrete and comes flooding through the hole.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

If you have a drain line for the gutters it woud be best to connect the sump drain into that.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...631605,00.html
Rivethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Looked at a house with full basement that my son was interested in buying last week.. We have had some heavy rains the past few days..Basement was flooded.. Marked that 1 off the list......Do like someone else said... Try to channel all the downspouts from the gutters away from the house... If the foundation wasn't water proofed properly.. You may have to dig it up & install a french drain around house
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
Looked at a house with full basement that my son was interested in buying last week.. We have had some heavy rains the past few days..Basement was flooded.. Marked that 1 off the list......Do like someone else said... Try to channel all the downspouts from the gutters away from the house... If the foundation wasn't water proofed properly.. You may have to dig it up & install a french drain around house
The house was built in the 1940's I don't think it had the water sealant on the cement for the basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivethead View Post
If you have a drain line for the gutters it woud be best to connect the sump drain into that.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...631605,00.html
That is exactly what I was looking for on piping and corect way to do it.

Last edited by andyroo89; 04-01-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo89 View Post
The house was built in the 1940's I don't think it had the water sealant on the cement for the basement.

You are probably correct.. I have installed these systems & they do work well If you can get the water to flow to that area.. I would still try to direct any outside water away from the home.. If you don't have gutters have some installed & pipe the water away from the foundation

Good luck
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
You are probably correct.. I have installed these systems & they do work well If you can get the water to flow to that area.. I would still try to direct any outside water away from the home.. If you don't have gutters have some installed & pipe the water away from the foundation

Good luck

Oh we have gutters and we have extension hoses on them.

Advertisement