Basement Flooding - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement flooding

I am new here but hope someone can help. We are renting a house from a friend. Lived here for 2 years with no problem. We are in Middletown CT. After Tropical Storm Irene went through we have had a problem with basement flooding. Usually its just about 2 inches but last week after heavy rains it was 8 inches. Today had another 4 inches and we are not using toilet, shower, or sink. Pumped out water then after a few hours water coming in again. Ran pump for about 45 minutes and while I was watching seemed to notice water trickling in through a floor crack. It comes in after rains, and using washer. Under walls and through 2 cracks in the floor. Have a plumber coming over in morning to have a look per landlord. City says we have no water going through pipe into road per their use of video inspection. Must have a clog somewhere. Any one have any ideas?

Advertisement

stumpedgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

Basement flooding

99 % of your troubles have nothing to do with the storm drains or floor drains.
Outside grade slopes toward the house, No gutters or there plugged up, mulch piled up againt the foundation, flower beds againt the house, no french drains, ect.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Basement flooding

ok i will be doing some yard work to take care of leaves etc and tell landlord about the gutters missing
stumpedgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:09 AM   #4
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Basement flooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpedgal
ok i will be doing some yard work to take care of leaves etc and tell landlord about the gutters missing
Gutters missing are a big part of the problem by themselves.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote