Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Basement faucet- Hot Water not coming out

Hi- Have a vanity with a standard 2 knob faucet, and the hot water is not coming out of the sink. Strange thing is the cold water comes out fine. Previous hop on the hot water pipe comes out fine (shower) but is not facing the exterior wall. The shutoff valve is not closed, and I can hear no hissing when I open or close the faucet.

Had a room heater up to 90 degrees for 3 hours in the room, and no change in activity. The water does not sound like it is running, the sump pump is not active so I don't think I have a leak, and I doubt that the pipe has frozen as the cold water pipe is in the same vicinity and is flowing fine. Matter of fact, it isn't ice cold, just standard cold water faucet cold so I am thinking iced pipes can't be it.

Granted last night was the coldest night in our area yet with temps getting down to 5 degrees. I am somewhat at a loss and would like to avoid the cost of a plumber visit if I can.

SpringfieldMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

warming the room is not the same as warming where that pipe is, the heat you put into the room is not likely to get into that wall. If you have access from below, put heat, anything but a blowtorch, to the pipe. Leave the hot faucet open at the sink. If you can't reach it from below, direct a hair dryer into the small opening in the wall where the pipe enters the vanity. If the hot water worked fine before, I'd go with this before checking further. Both supply pipes can freeze up if sitting in a cold wall.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #3

Thanks DUDE!

It just doesn't seem to make sense - why would it be only the hot line if the cold line is right next to it in the wall and that is fine? We rarely use the bathroom down here so water flow is not really an issue.
SpringfieldMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Actually, water flow is the issue, the more time the water in the pipe is stationary, more apt to freeze up in cold times. If this sink is rarely used, then you could have grit in the line. If the hot water is working in the shower and not at the vanity, as long as the pipe run is the same, and you get no hot water from the vanity, either the pipe is froze or the supply line is clogged up. If you can shut off the hot water line somewhere besides the vanity shut off valve, you can try disconnecting the supply at the shut off valve of vanity and see if any water is present. With this recent cold spell, frozen pipes is brought into the mix of causes, you have to eliminate things to get to the cause of no hot water. Could be as easy as a closed valve somewhere besides the vanity shutoff.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

hot water will freeze faster than cold water.
butlersprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlersprints View Post
hot water will freeze faster than cold water.
Under certain circumstances, yes. But I believe the issue here is not about hot water, since all water standing in pipes will attain the ambient temperature eventually. Perhaps the hot water pipe is located closer to the exterior wall than the cold.

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #7

EDITED

Last edited by Termite; 01-23-2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: inflammatory statement removed
drunknmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

The last time I had this happen, it was because the washer had come loose inside the valve. The water pressure got "behind" the washer and cut off the flow.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
The last time I had this happen, it was because the washer had come loose inside the valve. The water pressure got "behind" the washer and cut off the flow.
That happened to my outside tap a couple of weeks ago. When the faucet was first opened, the water would start to run, but would stop immediately.
The screw had come out of the washer. I don't know where it went, so before I replaced it, I left the stem out of the faucet, then opened the shutoff for a second to flush it out. Haven't had a problem since.

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote