Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Drain

Basement has no floor drain but does have 1-1\2" PC pipe in floor of furnace room which connects (under concrete floor) to sump pump 20' away. 1\4" condensation pipe from central A\C coil in furnace connects to the above stated pipe to remove condensation. In light of the fact that my water heater (50 Gal.) sits close by and would create a flood if it should leak, can I connect piping, hose, etc., from water-heater emergency overflow pan that water-heater sits in to the above noted 1-1\2" pipe to transfer water into sump pump to be discharged? Would the sump pump be damage from pumping out what would be "hot" water? Also, although not that important, would hot water from pump destroy grass where its dumps on the outside of my home?

Regards,

Katholic

Katholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 264

Basement Drain

The pan under the water heater is designed to catch and direct small leaks to a drain. Sending any water that might collect in the pan to a 1 1/2" drain and sump should be fine. Any water found in the pan should be the moment where you know you need to get things fixed immediately.

Small leaks are not going to get to the drain, through the sump and out onto the lawn hot. If that much water is flowing and staying hot enough to kill grass after that "trip" I'd be more concerned with my basement flooding.

old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Drain

Well understand all points made and your wisdom as have been shared is appreciated. If I can draw upon such a second time, let me ask you this: Dating back to 2003 waterheaters made by US Craftman and American Water Heater, i.e., Lowes, Sears, Home Depot, etc., were problematic, e.g. burner wouldn't state lit. While I have had no such past problem with an AO Smith Brand (also made by US Waterheater\American Waterheater) I am now beginning to experience such. While I do know that said manufactuers offerred an enhancement-kit to fix the problem, my questions is this: Do current model heaters by these manufactures still have the same problem? I ask inasmuch as I can purchase a 50 gal. AOC FFLV with 6 year warranty for $384.00 that is the same heater offered by Sears and "big" box stores under different label. Do you have an opinon?

Katholic
Katholic is offline   Reply With Quote