Basement Cleanout / Drain (BC Canada) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

basement cleanout / drain (BC Canada)

I have a partially finished basement and would like to add a kitchen with sink in a particular location.

Where I would like to add the sink there is a clean out. I think this clean out is either a 1.5" or 2" (I haven't had a chance to get a good look at it as it is currently behind a desk). Is there any way that i could add the kitchen sink drain to this clean out?

I believe this cleanout is on the side of the house that has the laundry room two floors up. There is no other plumbing on that side of the house.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to add a drain in this line? Or I guess the first question should be can I do this?

Thanks for any and all help.

Advertisement

smeghead68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

pics would help.

and you would not want to use a clean out for a drain. you'd want to leave that clean out for when a clean out is needed.

Advertisement

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #3

Thanks for reply bbo.

I was going to take a picture however it would only show a cleanout access and drywall. The actual piping is behind the drywall. Maybe I can describe it a bit futher.

The only piping involved in this part of the plumbing is a washing machine on the top floor, the piping from this drops from the top floor to the basement into the subfloor. Near the basment floor (on the vertical wall) there is a cleanout.

I wouldn't want to necessarily replace the cleanout with a drain but sort of add to it. i.e. have some sort of splitter (with cleanout and drain) or add the drain access above (or below) the cleanout access.

Again thanks for any and all help.

Last edited by smeghead68; 04-11-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #4

Bump.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

You'd have to open the wall and cut in a wye to the existing stack for your drain and run a vent pile up the wall right next to the existing is fine and cut it in above the laundry room.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply Evstarr.

I was hoping it was a much simpler solution. This sounds like a huge project to run a vent pipe 2 floors up! Also the laundry room is the top of the drain stack as far as i can tell.

I'm still having difficult time understanding this venting. I get the general principal behind it but where the vent lines need to be installed eludes me.

To me it seems that if the existing line is a drain for the washing machine on the top floor. why can't i add another drain on the basement? The venting should already be there should it not?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
Thread killer

Rewards Points: 268

It's possible that you could wet vent it, but it depends on the size of the pipe and venting already installed. And what your AHJ has for requirements
Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #8

I thought about wet venting, but how would you do that if the two drains are two floors apart?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #9

what about using an AAV (air admittance valve)?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Thread killer

Rewards Points: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghead68 View Post
I thought about wet venting, but how would you do that if the two drains are two floors apart?
It's not the distance, in this case, it's what you're draining at the highest point. And the drain pipes have to be 2 inch or larger. Hopefully a pro will chime in, if I'm wrong, but what I interpreted from the code is the existing drain has to be a minimum 2 inches and the DFU of the appliances at the highest point of that arm can't be more than 4.

Advertisement

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote