Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
djs

Share |

Basement Bathtub Vent

I'm finishing out a bathroom in a basement that had the drain pipes installed in the concrete already. I've got a bathtub box framed in the slab that will put the drain roughly 60" away from the main line. The pipe in the box is 2" pvc and I'm guessing it tees into the main line (4" pvc) just beside where the stack enters the slab (coming from the main floor). Do I need to place a Y after the P trap to put a vent on this line? I don't think that's normal and would certainly make the box harder to work in, but it is possible. I could then run the vent up into the crawlspace between the two floors and tie in to an existing roof vent.

Thanks for any help.

djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
DIY staff

Basement Bathtub Vent

How far is the tub drain from the toilet/vent?

Can you post a picture?

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
DIY staff

Basement Bathtub Vent

Typically the plumber will make up all the vents and stub them out of the slab.--You may already have the vent---we need a picture or two.--Mike--
Old 08-29-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
djs

Basement Bathtub Vent

Here's a diagram of the pipes and their positions.

Basement Bathtub Vent-bath.jpg

There's an error in my diagram - the 14" to the 2" bathtub drain is 18".

Last edited by djs; 08-29-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
DIY staff

Basement Bathtub Vent

Without X-ray vision --it's hard to tell what is vented---Typically there would be a 2" vent stubbed up behind the toilet--the sink may be sharing the vent--

the tub(shower) should have had a 1 1/2" vent stubbed up near that opening---to be safe you may wish to add a vent there---I can't tell if the vent is already there under the concrete---Mike---

There are some plumbers here with much more knowledge than me--lets see what the others have to say.---M---
Old 08-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
djs

Basement Bathtub Vent

I don't think there's any vents in the slab, as the outside wall is cinder block. The only pipes coming out are what's in the diagram.

I've found some sites that say it's ok to not have a vent on a toilet or tub if it's within 5 feet of the main line, which in this case it is at that limit. But I'm hoping for some reassurance. Otherwise, I'll probably add the vent to be safe. I'm just a bit worried about whether that's a proper installation of a vent and what the code inspector will think about it.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
DIY staff

Basement Bathtub Vent

Let's see what one of the licensed plumbers has to say---
Old 08-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #8

Basement Bathtub Vent

the 2" pipe that you're using for a sink is more than likely the vent for the w/c as well. You can use it as a wet vent for the sink too w/ no problems. If your tub was vented on this as well it means there is at least 135 degrees of turn on that vent, which isn't normal. Not saying I haven't seen it done, but it doesn't seem kosher. The only thing I could suggest is finding a company that has the means to inspect a 2" pipe so you can look at it all the way to the main.
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
djs

Basement Bathtub Vent

I didn't think about the possibility that the 2" line could be split between the box and the main line. I think that the pipe is actually under the slab and I could probably dig out some of the dirt to get a look in there. I'll do that and see what I can see.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Tags
bathtub vent basement