Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #1

Share |

basement bathroom plumbing - water in trench

I'm new to this forum, I need some help with a basement water issue:

I cut into basement concrete to tie into sewer line so I can add a bathroom down there. I dug a trench to access the existing sewer line and patched a 4 inch pvc to the existing clay sewer pipe using a snapper and then a fernco adapter. The trench has been slowly filling up with water since last night. A rate of about 1 inch per 2 hours. I'm pretty sure I did not get close enough to a water line to damage anything. Could this just be residual water from the clay/soil draining to the lowest point?
donnyt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyt23 View Post
I'm new to this forum, I need some help with a basement water issue:

I cut into basement concrete to tie into sewer line so I can add a bathroom down there. I dug a trench to access the existing sewer line and patched a 4 inch pvc to the existing clay sewer pipe using a snapper and then a fernco adapter. The trench has been slowly filling up with water since last night. A rate of about 1 inch per 2 hours. I'm pretty sure I did not get close enough to a water line to damage anything. Could this just be residual water from the clay/soil draining to the lowest point?
Yes it could be. It is also as sign that you don't have any drainage system under the slab, or, it isn't working efficiently. A bit of a water is common. How big is the hole?
psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilva8 View Post
A bit of a water is common.
I would say ANY water would be uncommon. How far from the outer wall is the hole? When you were digging the trench, was the dirt wet/saturated or not? I have no experience with clay sewer pipes. I have done this twice with a cast iron sewer pipe and had no problems.

Where are you located?

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilva8 View Post
Yes it could be. It is also as sign that you don't have any drainage system under the slab, or, it isn't working efficiently. A bit of a water is common. How big is the hole?
I have a hole/trench dug from where the kitchen sink plumbing drains into the sewer line in the basement. That is about 2 ft x 3 ft. From there I have an L-shaped trench about 1 ft off the basement walls for the new plumbing for the bathroom. All in all, about 16 sq foot trench. There didn't seem to be any water until I start digging deeper into the clay.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
I would say ANY water would be uncommon. How far from the outer wall is the hole? When you were digging the trench, was the dirt wet/saturated or not? I have no experience with clay sewer pipes. I have done this twice with a cast iron sewer pipe and had no problems.

Where are you located?

B
I'm in Cleveland, OH. House was built 1928 with a newer addition. Soil was very wet from the start of the project. There is a sump on the opposite end of the house - only about 30 feet from where I am digging. The outer wall is about 2 feet from my trench. The sewer pipes are definitely not leaking - this is clear water with no odor.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyt23 View Post
I'm in Cleveland, OH.
I'm not far from you,I would bet it's the water table.
I know everywhere we dig in Clev the water table is high unless your in the valley,go figure.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenworks View Post
I'm not far from you,I would bet it's the water table.
I know everywhere we dig in Clev the water table is high unless your in the valley,go figure.
If it is the water table, can I fill the trench back in with the granular fill/ clay and expect it not to flood the basement? I don't entirely understand water tables yet... Thanks for the help!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #8

You are certain that you didn't hit anything,if you didn't, I would mix some protland cement (dry) with your dirt and back fill while tamping it.
You need to make SURE it's not your city water, shut the water off for a good while.
If it;s ground water it is only going to go so high in most cases,or you could have it tested for chlorine where you live,they will normally do it for free.
What colour is the clay and dirt? Does it smell?
Take a picture and post it
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote