Basement Bathroom Plumbing Layout - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 125

Basement Bathroom Plumbing Layout

I will soon be remodeling my basement to add a bathroom before I remodel my upstairs bathroom and I am looking for opinions on my layout. On the attached picture, does the toilet need to have its own vent, or is it vented by the downstream washer vent? The toilet will drop down from above the main waste line and enter via a wye. All of the other vents will tie into the main stack in the attic, or possible a secondary stack, and vent through the roof. All of my drains into the main waste line will be via wyes. I am going to have to rip up part of my basement concrete floor to do this, so I want to make sure I am as prepared as possible before I start. Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Bathroom Plumbing Layout-basement-bathroom-drains-vents.jpg  

Advertisement

chronojosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #2

Any advice at all? I can answer any questions for clarification purposes.

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,528

Yea the way you have the fixtures placed you will need to vent every one of them. All vents must be vertical no under the floor dry vents. Your state follows IPC code.

You also must be 40 inches away from your stack before you tie in your first fixture.

I would strongly suggest moving the door to the toilet location and the toilet next to the sink. That way you can use the lavatory sink as a wet vent for the toilet. Then all you need vent is that sink and the shower.

You will also need a plumbing permit from your local building department with inspections and test.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 12-21-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I do want to leave the toilet where it is, but I wasn't sure about venting it. Does where the washer drain comes into the main waste line count as the toilet vent? Or do I somehow have to add another vent? The way the toilet is in the layout now, it will drain straight into the waste line so I'm not sure how to add a vent for it. Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #5

No your washer is not a vent for anything. Except the washer.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #6

Well, nuts! I guess I will adjust the toilet back a bit and tie it into the main waste line with a short piece of pipe and a wye. I will tee in a vent off of that short piece of pipe and tie it into the main stack in the attic. Thanks for the advice! Do the wyes that I use to tie the sink, shower, and now toilet drains into the main waste line have to be 45 dgrees or more above horizontal, or can they be less than that?
Old 12-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #7

Does this second plan sound better? Also what about wyes having to be above 45 degree? Thanks again for the help!
Old 12-23-2014, 05:35 PM   #8

How deep is your pipe in that area?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #9

I'm not too sure yet since im trying to plan as much as I can before I dig up my basement. I will definitely be starting right after Christmas. I guess once I have the main waste line exposed it will better help me determine the exact locations.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,390

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronojosh View Post
Any advice at all? I can answer any questions for clarification purposes.
Determine exactly where your existing drain line is first and then depending on how much concrete you want to break up you can plan your layout accordingly.

Thats what I did on my basement bathroom. I minimized concrete trenching by adjusting my layout of shower, toilet and lav. I even went as far as doing the lav drain above grade since I had a stack close by.

I notice you have a stack in that corner that you may be able to use??

Plus Ghostmaker gave some good suggestions.

I'm finished with the DWV, supply plumbing and electrical on mine. Here is a link to my thread if you care to look

Basement bathroom--use shower vent for toilet
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
chronojosh (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #11

Heres a tip for when you break your concrete up:

I didnt want to use a wet gas saw inside the house so I rented an electric dry-use Makita 14" concrete saw. The saw has its own attachment for a shop vac hook up that is suppose to minimize dust. Well the dust collection worked like crap. I should of went to United Rental and got their Husqvarna wet electric saw.

Just keep that in mind and have a good dust mask and plastic off the area.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #12

Thanks. I saw your thread and definately got some ideas from it. I have a skill saw with a diamond blade I'm going to use for my cutting. Definately going for the wet cutting though! I hate dust! Any advice on wether or not I have to use install wyes above 45 degrees when they are horizontal?
Old 12-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronojosh View Post
Thanks. I saw your thread and definately got some ideas from it. I have a skill saw with a diamond blade I'm going to use for my cutting. Definately going for the wet cutting though! I hate dust! Any advice on wether or not I have to use install wyes above 45 degrees when they are horizontal?

If your concrete floor is 4" thick good luck with a skill saw and an 8" or 10" blade.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #14

Yup. The skill saw only cuts to 2.5" and it's definitely more than 2.5" thick! I dont want to crush my pipe by smashing on the floor with a sledge too hard. Renting a concrete saw tomorrow. Oh well...
Old 01-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #15

So I finally got the floor cut up, and I changed what I think my layout should be. In the attached drawing, how should I go about venting the toilet? 2" shower and sink drain line will tie into the 3" toilet drain before wying into the 4" main septic line. Does the 2" sink vent count as a wet vent for the toilet? Or should I somehow wye off of the vertical toilet drop and add a 2" vent there? Any more advice would be helpful. BTW, my basement floor varies from 3" to 4" thick, so that was a fun job getting it cut, but with a little water, dust wasn't too bad of an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Bathroom Plumbing Layout-basement-bathroom-drains-vents.jpg  

Advertisement