Basement Bathroom Pex Questions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Bathroom Pex Questions

Hello,

My name is Joe and this is my first post to the DIY forum. I am in the process of finishing a basement and have come to the bathroom. My house was built in 2006 and all plumbing is rigid copper. For simplicity, I'd like to use Pex to tie into the existing water lines. I have a couple of questions. First, is a basic plumbing question. I need to plumb for a shower, vanity, and toilet. Should I run each of those back to the main 3/4 copper separately or bring one pex line for hot and one for cold and tee off from the pex for each? What is the best way to tee into the copper? I've looked at the quick connects, and I like the idea, but am skeptical since this is not going to be accessible once the drywall goes in. No plans for a drop ceiling. I'm going to drywall everything.

Thanks in advance for any input from the forum.

Joe

Advertisement

binkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

What's the distance to the copper you are going to be connecting to?

I'd say for a guest bath in the basement, i'd run separate 1/2" lines for them if they're within 20 feet or so. 1/2" pex is cheap by the foot, and then you won't need any fittings inbetween.

The best way to tee in to the copper is with a copper tee and the appropriate pex adapter.

Quick connect in a concealed location no matter if our local codes allow them or not is a no-go, ESPECIALLY on new construction.

I only use them on mobile homes where a repair is needed, because I feel that a sharkbite fitting on qest piping is better than the original qest fittings and crimp rings any day.

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
What's the distance to the copper you are going to be connecting to?

I'd say for a guest bath in the basement, i'd run separate 1/2" lines for them if they're within 20 feet or so. 1/2" pex is cheap by the foot, and then you won't need any fittings inbetween.

The best way to tee in to the copper is with a copper tee and the appropriate pex adapter.

Quick connect in a concealed location no matter if our local codes allow them or not is a no-go, ESPECIALLY on new construction.

I only use them on mobile homes where a repair is needed, because I feel that a sharkbite fitting on qest piping is better than the original qest fittings and crimp rings any day.

It's less than 20 ft for sure. I think you covered all of my concerns. I'd rather not sweat a bunch of fittings, but this route beats the alternative.

Thanks

Joe
binkley is offline   Reply With Quote