DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Basement 1/2 bath install (

Jimmy Manfredi 02-05-2012 01:29 PM

Basement 1/2 bath install
I have a 4 inch sewer pvc stubbed out of my concrete basement floor to mount a toilet flange. There is a cleanout pipe, which spans the height if the basement block walls about 2 feet to the left of that pipe. There is a 2 inch pvc stubbed out next to the block wall about 2 feet to the right of the 4" sewer and then another 2 inch pvc to the right of that, which is surrounded by a cinder block. I am in Harrison, TN. Anyone care to take a crack as to what the 2 - 2" pipes might be? Do you think one might be suitable for a lav sink drain or would it be better to route the sink drain and tie to the cleanout pipe via a T fitting?

plummen 02-05-2012 01:36 PM

How about a picture? :laughing:

Jimmy Manfredi 02-05-2012 02:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are 2 pics.

plummen 02-05-2012 02:28 PM

Far left looks like a lav/vent stub out,big pipe with cap is stool with other vent behind it coming up wall.
Looks like a tub rough in to me in that box in floor :)

plummen 02-05-2012 02:33 PM

Well wait a second,didnt notice cleanout plug in far left pipe! :wink:
How big is the pipe stubbed up behind toilet? looks like 3" in your picture.:eek:
I guess you could come off that monster behind the toilet with a san-tee to get an 1 1/2" waste arm for your lav and continue up from the san-tee to tie into a vent someplace :)

Jimmy Manfredi 02-05-2012 02:54 PM

Sorry.. You are right. The bigger pipe behind the toilet is a 3 incher. Please excuse my ignorance but what is a san-tee? Is it just a T fitting or adapter? Also, what would be my best option to tie into a vent? The house is a ranch over a combination garage and basement. There are 2 toilets in the house right now. I only see one vent pipe on the roof.

plummen 02-05-2012 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Its technically called a sanitary tee,but being a lazy speller thats how i spell it! :laughing:

plummen 02-05-2012 03:00 PM

Is there an extra vent pipe just hanging down between the joists someplace with a cap on it?
When we plumb a new house we normally leave what we call a future vent for this purpose :)

Jimmy Manfredi 02-05-2012 04:05 PM

OK, I searched between all the floor trusses downstairs. I can't pick up on any signs of seperate vent pipes. Every piece of PVC down there connects to a central location, which is the 3 inch pipe shown on the left with the clean out cap. It obviously vents out but it must happen from the main floor and above. I am obviously of little experience but I can't tell from what might be a toilet, sink, or tub drain let alone the vents. What might you suggest other than hiring someone? Thanks.

plummen 02-05-2012 04:08 PM

Can you post a picture of the collection of pipes around the stack?:)

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1