Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #1

Share |

baseboard help

jus converted my old cast iron radiator to a base board heater. Installed it myself (not my first one) went to turn on heat to check for leaks now i can't get the water to come to the heater. I have installed bleeder valves on the heater still can't get the water to rise. ( heater on second floor) all the other heaters in the house are working and getting heat. please help stuck

Bigpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #2

baseboard help

what's your boiler pressure?

takes 10 pounds just to get to the second floor.

you may have to raise the pressure up to 15-20 so you can bleed it then drop it back down.

i used to have to raise the pressure up to 25lbs so one of my customers could bleed the radiators on the 3rd floor then i would drop it back down.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
Bigpetey (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #3

baseboard help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
what's your boiler pressure?

takes 10 pounds just to get to the second floor.

you may have to raise the pressure up to 15-20 so you can bleed it then drop it back down.

i used to have to raise the pressure up to 25lbs so one of my customers could bleed the radiators on the 3rd floor then i would drop it back down.
how do you raise the pressure if i m reading this properly i have 0 pressure
Old 08-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #4

baseboard help

do you have an autofill valve on the boiler or do you have to manually fill it? did you turn the water back on to the boiler after you installed the baseboard?
Old 08-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #5

baseboard help

auto fill and no i didn't close the bolier down, i only drained the pipes going to the cast iron heater upstairs.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #6

baseboard help

but you said you had 0 pressure. is the autofill working properly? i would add water to get your pressure up to 15-20lbs and then bleed the unit up stairs. after you bleed the air out you can drain enough water out of the boiler to reduce the pressure back down to normal working pressure. how did you drain the lines to the radiator you removed without shutting the boiler down?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #7

baseboard help

i had redone the plumbing in the house about 6 years ago. I set up valves to shut the the feeders and a drain so i can drain each radiator without shutting down the boiler. I really don't know how to bring the pressure up on the boiler. Do i just starting filling the boiler up i see a valve shut off ,which is the water coming in before a regulator. do i have to shut anything down prior to doing this.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #8

baseboard help

you really should not mix....cast iron rads with copper fin...don't work that well...different operating temps.....but as it is raise boiler pressure and open bleeders till you get water....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #9

baseboard help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpetey View Post
i had redone the plumbing in the house about 6 years ago. I set up valves to shut the the feeders and a drain so i can drain each radiator without shutting down the boiler. I really don't know how to bring the pressure up on the boiler. Do i just starting filling the boiler up i see a valve shut off ,which is the water coming in before a regulator. do i have to shut anything down prior to doing this.
no just open up valve to boiler regulator till it builds pressure if that is not enough .open by pass lever on regulator to a little pressure higher than the set pressure....you should get water...ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote