Baseboard Heater - Air Bleed Valve - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

baseboard heater - air bleed valve

I'm installing a new heating element and I want to use the bleed valve from the old element. I posted a picture below of the valve. What do I use on the threads of the valve when inserting it into the tee, pipe dope? Also, do I need to remove the old solder or can I reheat and reuse it? Thanks

Advertisement

ivinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

You can use teflon tape on those fine threads, and you can use the old fitting, but it's probably more work than it's worth. If you don't clean it up properly, it may not take up new solder into the joint.

When I want to reuse a copper fitting (usually only larger, more expensive ones), I first remove it, hold it firmly with pliers - without crushing it - over the torch and heat up the sockets (one at a time) and wipe as much of the hot, liquified solder out with a gloved finger (or rag) as I can. Then heat it up again and shine it up in there with a wire cleaning brush. The fitting should be able to dry-fit onto a piece of pipe all the way to the base of the socket - just like a new fitting - before attempting to reuse it.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ishmael; 10-27-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #3

Thanks for the info..

I wasn't able to use it after all. I purchhased a 3/4x1/8x3/4 tee and will try to use a reducer. My supply line is 1/2 and the element is 3/4, but I can't find a 1/2x1/ix3/4 anywhere.

I had most of the heaters replaced a while ago. They have a self piercing saddle valve. The plumber put them on after realizing that no heat was coming out because of all the air in the pipes. Seems to be working so far. Is it safe to use them for hot water pipes? Ill probably use one if all elese fails.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinho View Post
Thanks for the info..

I wasn't able to use it after all. I purchhased a 3/4x1/8x3/4 tee and will try to use a reducer. My supply line is 1/2 and the element is 3/4, but I can't find a 1/2x1/ix3/4 anywhere.

I had most of the heaters replaced a while ago. They have a self piercing saddle valve. The plumber put them on after realizing that no heat was coming out because of all the air in the pipes. Seems to be working so far. Is it safe to use them for hot water pipes? Ill probably use one if all elese fails.

Thanks
If they won't let you exchange the 3/4" baseboard element for 1/2", you'll have to make the transition using the 3/4"C x 1/8"F x 3/4"C tee you already have and a 3/4"C x 1/2"C "fitting reducer" in one side.

Don't use saddle valves on anything - especially heat where the pipe expands and contracts constantly; not to mention the high temperature (typically 180*F) working on that little rubber gasket.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #5

Thanks for your advice.