Bar Sink And Utility Sink Drain Line - T Or Wye - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bar Sink and Utility Sink Drain Line - T or Wye

I'm starting my basement remodel and I am planning a on putting in a bar sink and a utility sink on the other side of the wall around the corner. I can't really find any information about where should I use a sanitary T vs. a Wye. I talked to one of the city inspectors and I'm not sure if he knew the difference,as all he kept saying is that so long as there aren't sharp tight bends then its not an issue.

Attached is is a sketch of what I think it should look like and was hoping on getting some input about where I should use a Wye vs. a Sanitary T.

1. Is a sanitary T correct for attaching to the existing 3" vent?
2. Is the wye correct for the bar sink and can it be laid over on the horizontal?
3. Is the 90* bend correct for the utility sink at the begginging of the run?
4. Are sanidarty T's correct for the vent lines for each sink?

Advertisement

mykayel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

It looks like you have the basic concept! Whenever sewage or waste is going horizontal to horizontal or vertical to horizontal you want to use a long sweep fitting(wye, long sweep 90, etc). Whenever you go horizontal to vertical, use a san tee. The vent is just air, so I believe tees are fine!

Advertisement

broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

not 100% sure, eplumber or someone else can chime in when necessary... but would the section between the bar sink trap and it's intended vent be considered a wet vent? if so, it would be illegal under the code i use. can't do that horizontal, only vertical.
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
not 100% sure, eplumber or someone else can chime in when necessary... but would the section between the bar sink trap and it's intended vent be considered a wet vent? if so, it would be illegal under the code i use. can't do that horizontal, only vertical.
Don't know what you'd officially call it except, red tag by UPC standards.
The tees and combos are ok though. Also, both fixtures can be vented on a 1.5" vent.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Don't know what you'd officially call it except, red tag by UPC standards.
The tees and combos are ok though. Also, both fixtures can be vented on a 1.5" vent.
So are you saying that this is not ok? If so, are you saying that I need to run two seperate horizontal lines?

This vent is running to the other side of the basement (horizontally) where it will also pick up the vents for the watercloset toilet and sink... so I thought I would need 2". Or at least I would need 2" after the other vents tied in so I just figured I'd run 2" all the way.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #6

you won't get red tagged for oversizing pipe. what i would do with it is take both of my traps off of the vertical pipes and lower the horizontal pipe so that its just a drain. use a combo to go from horizontal to vertical, then a san tee for your trap arm. i'm way too lazy to draw it in paint, so hopefully that makes sense
Old 01-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #7

Ok, so I thought about this a little more to avoid the "wet" vent. Would this layout be better?

Also, would I need a cleanout at the end of the run? I've moved the existing 3" cleanout up. I would prefer to do that all in one as I had shown above but I cannot find such a fitting.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by mykayel; 01-12-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #8

thats what i was picturing, . i would do the same to the utility sink drain, and yes i would put in a cleanout. my codebook requires it on the upper end of a horizontal run. so basically if you run the utility sink off of the vertical, then use a combo instead of a 90 to go from horizontal to verical and put a cleanout adapter into the upper end

Advertisement