Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Banging Pipe Sound

I did a master bathroom remodel and installed a new shower faucet. There are hot and cold water shut off valves prior to the shower faucet. When both the hot and cold valves are open at the water shut off, there is a banging pipes sound that sounds like it is in the wall near the shower anytime I am using the sink faucet or flushing the toilet. The banging occurs right after turning off the faucet or after the toilet is done filling back up. I had fastened the pipes to the studs as I ran it and have insulation on the hot lines.

I have opened the wall up in places and have access panels to the copper pipes. I have placed my hand on the pipes in various places and still don't feel any vibrations but some where it sounds like it is banging. Especially a banging sound in the shower area but nothing feels like it is banging at all.

I have placed hammer resistors on the hot and cold right by the shower faucet and that has not rectified the problem. The faucet has the pressure valve and I have another never used faucet of the same and put the "cartridge" in this one that did not resolve the problem.

I have bought a new Moen shower faucet but am afraid that just replacing it and the plumbing will not resolve the issue. Someone mentioned maybe my water pressure in the house is too high and may be the cause. It is an open system, currently. But why would the banging pipe sound stop when I turn off either the hot or cold shut off valve going to the shower only?

Has anyone else came across this? I am at wits end! I will be buying the pressure gauge to check the water pressure. TO replace the whole shower faucet area, it will be a chore since I have a porcelain tile on the shower area. SO I can only work from the access panel on the other side.

Any and all help is appreciative. If you have questions feel free to ask!

Also, I have a tankless water heater and not a tank..if that is of any needed help. 3/4in line coming into house that is quickly reduced to 1/2 in. (don't ask, I didn't do it). Water softener as well. IF these facts help at all or just for informational purposes.

Last edited by anthonya2369; 07-17-2012 at 08:11 AM.
anthonya2369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #2

Banging Pipe Sound

Is that shower at the end of the main line run?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #3

Banging Pipe Sound

Yes, the shower is at the end of the run and is the furthest run. When the shut off valves are off, then I guess the toilet would be the end of the run but no banging pipe sound. I have tees on the hot and cold instead of 90 degree elbows where the pipes go up to the shower faucet valve and that is where the hammer resistors are located. Within a foot of the shower faucet.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #4

Banging Pipe Sound

Any ideas?
Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #5

Banging Pipe Sound

I got a pressure gauge and hooked it up to my Washing Machine hot water valve. The water pressure is 77 psi. I then turned on the water at the sink in master bathroom with the hot and cold water shut off valves turned off at the shower and the pressure goes to at least 100 psi from turning the water on and off.

I then turn the hot and cold valves to the shower (which causes the banging) and then turned the faucet at the sink on and off a few times. Banging pipes occurred. Looked at pressure gauge and it jumps to 115 to 120 psi.

I did notice that it makes the banging pipe sound louder on the hot water side of the sink faucet and a very faint sound if it is cold. The toilet using cold water makes the faint sound too.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #6

Banging Pipe Sound

is there a pressure regulator at the in comming line ????? it could be going bad..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #7

Banging Pipe Sound

Currently, there is no pressure reducing valve on the system. It is an open system. I have a plumber coming out today but he seems to think it needs a pressure reducing valve.

The odd thing about it is the pressure goes up when turning a faucet on and off. And increases more once the hot and cold shut off valves are open on the shower faucet to 115-120 psi. With it shut off, it goes to about 100-105 psi. Really odd.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #8

Banging Pipe Sound

The problem has been resolved. The pressure balancer in the shower faucet due to high water pressure was causing the issue. It is only 80 psi but it was causing issues with the shower faucet. Without getting into a lot of detail, lets say the problem was corrected. This was a AquaSource shwoer so for future, I will keep with Moen or Delta...

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonya2369 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-19-2012)

Tags
banging pipes