Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #1

Share |

ball valve leaking

I put in a new water heater last night. I used a ball valve to shut off the cold water line to the water heater. The ball valve is leaking from the below the handle in the middle of the valve (not at the sodered ends. Is there a way to stop the leaking from the point at where the handle enters the valve. I tried the nut on top of the handle, that seems to slow the leak possibly. It does not stop it. Do i need to tighten the nut under the handle itself. That is where the leak is coming from. the problem is i dont have a wrench skinny enough to get in between the underneath of the handle and and the top part of the valve to tighten that nut. Any ideas. I would rather try something other and replacing the valve with a new one. Do either of the nuts on (one above the handle on top or the one below the handle above the valve) have the ability to stop a leak in that area?

Thanks
Bob

bwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #2

ball valve leaking

You might have to replace the entire valve, if you cannot replace the seal where the handle is.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #3

ball valve leaking

The nut on top of the handle does nothing but hold the handle on. Go ahead and remove that nut and the handle. Then tighten the nut underneath (packing nut). You don't have to kill it, just snug it a bit. If that doesn't stop the leak it's easiest to just replace the valve. I have to tighten that nut on almost every ball valve I install. Some little guy in China I'm sure thinks it's hilarious to make extra work for the Americans.

Last edited by Tmb9862; 05-29-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Tmb9862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:09 PM   #4

ball valve leaking

Thanks for the replies! The last one was pretty humorous!
Old 05-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #5

ball valve leaking

did you open the valve when you soldered it?
did you put too much solder on the joint that it ran into the ball opening and csause the ball not to fit correctly?
jdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #6

ball valve leaking

Hey everyone Thanks!

Tightening the nut down after removing the upper nut and handle fixed the issue!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

Smile

ball valve leaking

Thank you! My husband and I were just about finished pulling out our hair as to why the two valves he installed with our water softner were leaking "at the handle" and perfectly fine at the soldered connections! We had never encountered this before! He tightened the handle nut and obviously that didn't work. When searching the interned--it introduced us to this site and your posts. Thank you--we successfully tightened the packing nut! ...I agree with the "little man in China syndrome"!!

Last edited by Sheetzfamily; 06-09-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Sheetzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:17 AM   #8

ball valve leaking

"little man in China syndrome"!!
VALVE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VALVE For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-31-2012)
Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
Household Handyman

ball valve leaking

Sorry, but don't knock only those little China people on this one. We used to buy Apollo brand ball valves by the cases where I worked. Each box had "Made in U.S.A." imprinted on them and I'd dare say that 30% of these ball valves leaked at the packing nut/stem when installed. OR-maybe I was reading it wong , maybe the box was "Made in the U.S.A." Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #10

ball valve leaking

Only (?) in the U.S.A. must we use lead free solder, that has a higher melting point and it is easier to damage valves or other components being assembled.

Really, I would be tempted to use electronic solder (60% tin, 40% lead) that has a lower melting point than even old fashioned plumbing solder (for those joints) and see if I could get away with it.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #11

ball valve leaking

Thanks for the help here. I had the same issue with a slight drip coming from the Ball Valve. Removed the handle and tightened the packing nut and the drip is now history.

Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote