Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Ball Valve for hose bib

Hey Guys,

Quick question, are there any drawbacks for using a ball valve for my backyard hose bib, instead of the gate valve that are commonly used.

I live in Canada and it gets cold here. As of right now there is no interior shut off for that bib. I am very surprised as to why the pipe had not froze for over 30 years.... I thought they usually freese and burst.

I can run the outside water in the dead of winter and it will flow...

Please advise of the pros and cons for a ball valve

sannitig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ball Valve for hose bib

just the looks of it but you might want to add a shut off inside and a drain down tee between that ball valve and the new shut off.if your going to keep it filled during the winter they have styrafoam caps that wing nut down so the valve is covered from winds...add a short piece of armaflex in that cap and your good for any temp.as long as the wind doesn't hit itinto wind chill

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,094

Ball Valve for hose bib

I've never seen a ball valve used for a hose bib, but that's probably just because they cost a lot more. Don't know why one wouldn't work though. Be sure to use a full port valve.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #4

Ball Valve for hose bib

so a ball valve can regulate flow? I was always under the impression that ball valve was for on/off. If it can regulate flow as well as a gate valve and last just as long then I may be switching to ball valve.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,352

Ball Valve for hose bib

No vacuum breaker so in some areas it would not meet code.
No way to mount it to the side of the house.
Not a great look.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,300

Ball Valve for hose bib

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
so a ball valve can regulate flow? I was always under the impression that ball valve was for on/off. If it can regulate flow as well as a gate valve and last just as long then I may be switching to ball valve.
Gate valves are not really designed for flow regulation. They're best suited for on/off
To control flow you want a ball or globe valve.
Alan (08-14-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,012

Ball Valve for hose bib

Short answer: Yes, you can use a ball valve instead of a hose bibb. BUT: Not the most logical choice in this situation. IF you find a "true flow" ball valve then you could get the same volume of water via the ball valve as the line feeding the valve, if that would be what you want. The ball valve would have to have an additional fitting, a 3/4" mnpt x 3/4" garden hose threaded fitting. You may be violating a local code as to the "back-flow-preventer" if you do this also. In your area it sounds as if it would be a good idea to install the interior shut-off valve and the drain tee.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #8

Ball Valve for hose bib

Thanks guys,

I am going to leave the normal valve in.

the reason I asked is because I will be installing a 'Y' attachment with ball valves on them. One will go to the hose on a reel and the ball valve will be the flow regulator (really small dinky handle so it's gonna suck) and the other is going to an automatic underground irrigation system I will be putting in. That one will always be open and the gate valve as well.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Ball Valve for hose bib

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannitig View Post
Thanks guys,

I am going to leave the normal valve in.

the reason I asked is because I will be installing a 'Y' attachment with ball valves on them. One will go to the hose on a reel and the ball valve will be the flow regulator (really small dinky handle so it's gonna suck) and the other is going to an automatic underground irrigation system I will be putting in. That one will always be open and the gate valve as well.
You may want to rethink that. Yes you can now buy ball hose bibs. The Box
stores (Lowes) has them. I just installed a couple of them for a friend/customer but there is one small problem I discovered. The valves spray
a wide fan when you just crack them open and your going to get soaked the
first time you do it. ( or not with my warning). Ball valves don't especially like to be throttled ( partially opened) and the water hits the threaded end
of the bib with great force. Reason is (and is why you want to use ball valves in the first place) is that when they are wide open it's like no valve is there at all. These are full port and supply a large volume to a
hose and at 50 ft away you get the pay off. The fix for the spray was easy.
I bought a female hose fitting(brass) with a male pipe thread on one side. I screwed a 1/2 female (copper) adapter to it then sweated a street 45 so it
points down when its just hand snug. Now it flows like a regular bib would and to attach your garden hose , simply unscrew your 'spout" and a way you go. You could do this all in plastic as well. You can still put your wye on but will have better flow to them.
btw, did you ever actually look at the ridiculously small openings in those things. I personally hate them.

LeakyMike is offline   Reply With Quote