Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #1

Share |

ball-park new plumbing- old house

Hello all,
I am looking at buying an old house (from 1907). I'm pretty sure the house has much of the original plumbing, although it was renovated in 1920. The house is 2 stories with a basement (unfurnished) and has 1.5 baths, with the full bath on the second floor. It is roughly 2000 sq ft. The seller's disclosure notes that there has been leaks and frozen pipes in the past. In the basement, the ceiling (wood and plaster) has numerous patches, likely from old leaks.

I really like the house and location, but I know I will have to likely redo all the plumbing (and probably electrical). I may have to add another bathroom upstairs. Before spending a lot of time and energy investing in this property, I want to make sure the selling price is reasonable considering all the work that will have to be done, and I want to know where to ball-park my offers.

Can anyone give me a ball-park estimate for how much the plumbing job would cost? If anyone knew the electrical it would be great too. The house is in Saint Louis.

Thanks!
gbwillner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Prices vary greatly by region. It would be hard for anyone to give you a "ball park" price without knowing were you are located and the amount of work that needs to be done.

That being said, this is a DIY site and price shopping is normally looked down upon by the powers that be. My advice would be to get some recommendations from friends and relatives then get a least three quotes. Also asked to speak to some former customers and check with the Better Business Bureau.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
Prices vary greatly by region. It would be hard for anyone to give you a "ball park" price without knowing were you are located and the amount of work that needs to be done.

That being said, this is a DIY site and price shopping is normally looked down upon by the powers that be. My advice would be to get some recommendations from friends and relatives then get a least three quotes. Also asked to speak to some former customers and check with the Better Business Bureau.

Thanks. Problem is, it is not my house. I can't let people in there without the owner's approval and an agent being physically present, and I doubt I would get a better ball-park figure from a local plumber who doesn't see the house. If the guy is selling the house for $270K, and it's worth $280K fixed up, I would be retarded to waste time on it if it will be 30-80K in repairs.

thx anyway...
Old 05-14-2009, 05:21 AM   #4
Safe, Most of the Time!!

IMO I do not think ten grand is enough of a spread. I had a friend of mine that lives in the Twin Cities metro area; a few year back he decided to add a bathroom to his basement. He got three quotes for the plumbing portion of the job. I believe he said the cheapest one was seven grand.

If you really love the property tell your agent that you NEED a quote from a plumber YOU choose. Your agent works for you, if he does not want to try to line it up, look for another agent. If the person is really interested in selling you should be able to work something out.

Did your agent already do a market analysis on the property? If not he should. If not, how do you know it is worth 280K? Even with a market analysis it is still just an opinion of value as you have to factor in the condition of the property.

It is still a buyers market, don't let emotions guide your decision; one you may regret shortly after you move into the home.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
IMO I do not think ten grand is enough of a spread. I had a friend of mine that lives in the Twin Cities metro area; a few year back he decided to add a bathroom to his basement. He got three quotes for the plumbing portion of the job. I believe he said the cheapest one was seven grand.

If you really love the property tell your agent that you NEED a quote from a plumber YOU choose. Your agent works for you, if he does not want to try to line it up, look for another agent. If the person is really interested in selling you should be able to work something out.

Did your agent already do a market analysis on the property? If not he should. If not, how do you know it is worth 280K? Even with a market analysis it is still just an opinion of value as you have to factor in the condition of the property.

It is still a buyers market, don't let emotions guide your decision; one you may regret shortly after you move into the home.

Thanks. I did get a market analysis but it is SO variable right now. There are houses 3 blocks away selling for 80K less, and there are finished houses on the same street selling for 80K more.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #6

Questions like this are akin to questions like "how long is a rope", and are therefore discouraged on this site. Nobody here can provide accurate cost data for a house that we haven't spent time investigating. Before you offer you should have a couple plumbers provide cost estimates (which they may charge you for due the the likelihood that they won't get the job).
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote