Bad Valve Washing Machine?? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2009, 07:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

bad valve washing machine??

Im not sure this is the right are to post this: I used search but didnt find anything on the topic.My washing machine wont turn the fill water off< is this just a water valve or is this a switch that tells the valve to shut off> Came home to a flooded garage Thankfully it was a garage

Advertisement

drdon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

That sounds to me like a problem with the air pressure switch.

You see, I don't know if it's only Maytag, or other washing machines too, but the start procedure is as follows:

1. When you start the machine, the first thing that happens is that an electrical signal goes through the cycle selector switch to the water mixing valve that tells one (or both) of the solenoids to energize. If the hot solenoid energizes, then hot water flows into the machine. If the cold solenoid energizes then cold water flows into the machine. If both solenoids energize, then warm water flows into the machine.

2. As the inner and outer tubs fill with water, the water level in a small tube (that runs from the outside of the outer tub to an "air pressure switch" in the console) rises. As it does, the air pressure in that tube increases and the air pressure switch detects that pressure increase. At a preset pressure, the air pressure switch flips and diverts power from the water mixing valve to the timer motor so that the machine stops filling and the wash cycle starts. It's this air pressure switch that allows you to do a small load of laundry with a half tub of water, or a full load with a full tub of water, depending on whether your washing machine has that feature.

If you set the machine on "WARM" fill, as you'd get with a "Colours" wash setting, do you get warm water coming into the tub? If so, it's almost certainly a leak in the hose going to your air pressure switch. That is, the machine is trying to fill with warm water as it should, but the air pressure switch is not detecting an increase in the air pressure in the tube.

If you unplug the machine, but leave the water supply hoses connected and the valves open, does the machine still fill? If so, then one of the solenoids on your water mixing valve is stuck open, and you need to replace your water mixing valve. (A $15 item.)

If there is a problem with the water mixing valve, then the water coming into the machine will be either hot or cold as it's extremely unlikely for both solenoids to stick open simultaneously. When replacing the water mixing valve, maybe use some strainer screens on the inlet hoses to prevent dirt from getting into the water mixing valve. That's likely what caused the problem (if it's a problem with the water mixing valve.) Since the water mixing valve uses the pressure of the water itself to shut off the water flow into the machine, there should be NO water flow into the machine when it's unplugged. If there is, the problem is definitely with the water mixing valve.

So, the FIRST thing to do is test the machine by unplugging it and opening the valves to the hot and cold water inlet hoses. If water starts flowing into the machine, then the problem is with the water mixing valve.

If water doesn't flow into the machine with the valves open, then plug the machine in and start a "Colours" cycle. If warm water starts flowing into the machine, but doesn't stop when the tub is full, then the problem is with a leak in the hose going to the air pressure switch, or a bad air pressure switch itself.

Advertisement

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 01-17-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #3

Now thats an explanation--very clear and defined Thanks so much!! Somebody told me it was a bad water valve but it just made sense to me that it could be a switch telling the valve to shut off also. I can pull the stop on the washer and get it to spin,but thats about it ----Ill try what you suggested Thanks again
Old 01-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #4

Thanks its the air switch or air hose itself-------Is this an involved fix or pretty much diy---Ive replaced a belt on a dryer before
Old 01-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #5

I've never done it, but I'd expect it's DIY.

You'll probably have to raise the top on the washing machine. Normally these mlift up and tilt backward with a hinge-type mechanism on the back of the washing machine's top.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Nestor_Kelebay
You are wonderful!

My washing machine can't fill with water
May be my water mixing valve is broken.
VALVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Long-Time DIYer

To open up my Maytag washer, I unscrew two screws at the bottom corners of the front panel to remove it, which gives access to two nutdriver screws up under the right and left front of the top. Remove those, and open up the top to access everything around the tub.
To replace the water mixing valve that the hoses are hooked to on the back of the machine, you just remove it from the outside back.
Always unplug the machine before doing any of this.
Good Luck!
Mike

Advertisement

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote