Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
dsq

Rewards Points: 10

Is This a Bad Plumbing Job?Will the pipes fail?

WE HAD some plumbing done.The soldered joints look very sloppy also it looks like the plumber forced the pipes instead measuring properly-pipes are protruding at weird angles.I am wondering with the welds and the pressure on the joints if the pipes will fail.One photo i have shows 2 elbows withiin a few inches.The whole job looks sloppy and total mickey mouse.

I HAVE PICS AT THE LINK BELOW OF THIS PLUMBING THAT WAS DONE THAT I DONT THINK LOOKS GREAT.

http://dunk222.angelfire.com/drywall...g_bite_007?i=8

Please let me know what you think and if these pipes will burst.Thanks

dsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I dont know about the joints but those pipes coming up through the floor should be in the middle of the 2X4's. Is that an exterior wall with the plywood showing?

and youre right, sloppy job. most plumbers are a lot better than that.

II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Rewards Points: 500

While the sweat joints may not look perfect, there is no reason I see to believe that they would fail.

Not sure what II weeks is saying when talking about the pipes coming up in the middle of the 2X4, copper plumbing pipe is not wire and is usually run on the outside of the two bys.

If they were taking about it coming up from a lower floor to an upper floor it can come up were ever it needs to.

As far as the two elbows connected so close together, this is also not unusual. Again copper pipe is not wire and it is sometimes necessary to get from point A to point B. But then again that is why I like pex.

While the job may not look all that pretty, I see no reason for you to be concerned.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

he just didnt wipe off the extra solder. Thats why it looks sloppy, no reason to think they are not done properly. Everything else is all good.
scotty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #5

There is no support behind the diverter/mixing valve for the shower. If I was you I would try to nail a brace behind it and bolt the diverter to the 2x4 brace. It sees alot of movement when you turn your shower on and off.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

It is sloppy, but there's nothing to indicate it won't work just fine. Just test everything for leaks before you cover it up. That mixing valve does need support!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #7

BrokenKnee wrote:
Quote:
Not sure what II weeks is saying when talking about the pipes coming up in the middle of the 2X4, copper plumbing pipe is not wire and is usually run on the outside of the two bys.

If they were taking about it coming up from a lower floor to an upper floor it can come up were ever it needs to.
This looks OK to you? Possible outside wall (not sure but I see plywood)? No metal plates protecting them? I run pipes, electric and even low voltage in the middle of bays whenever possible and protect them with strike plates whenever needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Is This a Bad Plumbing Job?Will the pipes fail?-dog_bite_007.jpg  
Old 02-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
dsq

Thanks for the replies.
Is there anywhere i can see a pic of what a support for that the diverter/mixing valve for the shower is supposed to look like?
II weeks,that photo is a photo of the plumbing running along the ceiling.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #9

OH OK. Wow, than thats a great job. So thats the sub floor or attic floor? if you like it like that than thats just great.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
dsq

thats the ceiling of the dining room and there is a second floor with bedrooms above it.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 528

This looks like it was installed by a wannabe plumber. It is sloppy. He certainly does not know how to measure and cut tubing. If this character calls himself a plumber, then he's a jerk also. I think he is also cutting corners with what appears to be a home made mixing valve. I just put one in a year ago and mine had some type of couplings on it for easier disassembly if needed. If this guy advertizes, warn your friends.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Bocolo

I am not a plumber but I thought you were not supposed to weld the threaded ends on a mixer. Don't you use pressure couplings for those? If I am not mistaken I also read somewhere, sometime that the heat from the weld can damage the internal parts of the mixer. Again, I am no plumber.
Bocolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocolo View Post
I am not a plumber but I thought you were not supposed to weld the threaded ends on a mixer. Don't you use pressure couplings for those? If I am not mistaken I also read somewhere, sometime that the heat from the weld can damage the internal parts of the mixer. Again, I am no plumber.
Nothing wrong with soldering those joints (not welding...totally different process). It is commonplace. The guts of the valve are typically removed during the sweating/soldering process to avoid heat damage.

Pressure/compression couplings aren't usually allowed in sealed spaces, and would not be appropriate for this application.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Bocolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Nothing wrong with soldering those joints (not welding...totally different process). It is commonplace. The guts of the valve are typically removed during the sweating/soldering process to avoid heat damage.

Pressure/compression couplings aren't usually allowed in sealed spaces, and would not be appropriate for this application.
Thank you for the lesson, very much appreciated. Solder that's what I meant not weld. Thanks again.
Bocolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #15

dsq, the support is a 2x4 nailed in between the studs directly behind the diverter. Is there a cover plate in the shower that you can take off and screw the diverter to the 2x4? Some way you will need to fasten the diverter to the 2x4, if you can't screw the "ears" on the diverter to the 2x4 then you might need to use a bolt and nut.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote