Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
jkk

Share |

Bad faucet valve

This faucet belongs to an older friend so I haven't taken it apart yet. It's a Moen. The cold water handle turns past the 3 o'clock position (to 2 o'clock position) so the water starts coming back on. What valve is needed to fix this? Is it a simple screw in valve from the top?
Attached Thumbnails
Bad faucet valve-image-4276440902.jpg  

jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #2

Bad faucet valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkk View Post
This faucet belongs to an older friend so I haven't taken it apart yet. It's a Moen. The cold water handle turns past the 3 o'clock position (to 2 o'clock position) so the water starts coming back on. What valve is needed to fix this? Is it a simple screw in valve from the top?
would seem like the cartridge stop is broken..remove handle replace cartridge ...should fix problem..ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
jmon (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Retired Army Veteran

Bad faucet valve

In addition to Ben's advice, call or go online to moen's website, explain the problem, they will send you a new cartdrige for free. Excellent customer service.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-24-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
jkk

Bad faucet valve

How do I know which cartridge to get? Are they standard?
jkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Plumber

Bad faucet valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkk View Post
How do I know which cartridge to get? Are they standard?
Pull the old one out , and send a pic to moen.
DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Retired Army Veteran

Bad faucet valve

You can do that or call them with your faucet model number and they will know which one to send you. They may just send you both. If you don't know your model number you can go to their website and match it up or customer service will assist you.

Last edited by jmon; 09-25-2013 at 05:32 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Bad faucet valve

Pull out the cartridge, head to local Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's, Ace Hardware and pick up a new cartridge, then reverse the process.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #8

Bad faucet valve

Probably the 1248 or..... 14891?
Either way, contact Moen and get it for free.
No need to run out and buy one when Moen is free and its not leaking.

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Bad faucet valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Probably the 1248 or..... 14891?
Either way, contact Moen and get it for free.
No need to run out and buy one when Moen is free and its not leaking.
Not exactly free. You figure the time it takes for Moen to ship you one, along with the cost & shipping & handling charges they will charge you, to have the part to you in say six to eight weeks; in fifteen minutes, you can drive to your local hardware store, pick up the part and have it fixed in about an hour tops.

The parts are only free, if you can show them that the faucet is still within the five year warranty period. That means having a physical receipt that you can fax to them, email or mail to the warranty department, showing the date of purchase.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #10

Bad faucet valve

They are free

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Bad faucet valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
They are free
If you can show proof of purchase date. Otherwise, again they are not free.

"Lifetime Limited Warranty
MoenŽ products have been manufactured under the highest standards of quality and workmanship. Moen warrants to the original consumer purchaser for as long as the original consumer purchaser owns their home (the "Warranty Period" for homeowners), that this faucet will be leak- and drip-free during normal use and all parts and finishes of this faucet will be free from defects in material and manufacturing workmanship. All other purchasers (including purchasers for industrial, commercial and business use) are warranted for a period of 5 years from the original date of purchase (the "Warranty Period" for non-homeowners).

If this faucet should ever develop a leak or drip during the Warranty Period, Moen will FREE OF CHARGE provide the parts necessary to put the faucet back in good working condition and will replace FREE OF CHARGE any part or finish that proves defective in material and manufacturing workmanship, under normal installation, use and service. Replacement parts may be obtained by calling 1-800-289-6636 (Canada 1-800-465-6130), or by writing to the address shown below. Proof of purchase (original sales receipt) from the original consumer purchaser must accompany all warranty claims. Defects or damage caused by the use of other than genuine Moen parts is not covered by this warranty. This warranty is applicable only to faucets purchased after December, 1995 and shall be effective from the date of purchase as shown on purchaser's receipt."

http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/warranty

I doubt the OP friend is the original purchaser or if they are, they would still have to show proof of purchase, that they bought the faucet. Otherwise, Moen will charge the customer that wants a part, more than it would cost to go to the local hardware store, to buy the same part.

If my faucets leak for our shower or bath sink, which are both Moen; I am not going to wait six to eight weeks for a replacement part, I am going to the local Ace Hardware and picking up the parts that same day.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #12

Bad faucet valve

Took Moen less then a week to send me my parts. They never asked for a receipt. It was free.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #13

Bad faucet valve

yep they are free.....ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
DIY staff

Bad faucet valve

Never asked for a receipt from any of my customers---