Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #1

Share |

Bacteria

I was recommended that the next time I test for coliform is to open the petri dish dish and smell it so the next time I go to a well I can compare it with the odors in well water.

I told I didn't buy that advice but he repeated numerous times on line.

I told him that it was best to take samples to certified labs and expect documented results.

My question is: Has anyone heard of such a method?

Andy CWS-II
Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #2

Bacteria

I wouldn't leave the safety of my health up to my nose. Definitly get a sample check done. It's not that expensive, especially compared to medical bills.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #3

Bacteria

I am not aware of anyone who can smell bacteria. Testing is the only way to know what the water contains.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
Water quality'n pump guy

Bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy CWS View Post
I was recommended that the next time I test for coliform is to open the petri dish dish and smell it so the next time I go to a well I can compare it with the odors in well water.

I told I didn't buy that advice but he repeated numerous times on line.

I told him that it was best to take samples to certified labs and expect documented results.

My question is: Has anyone heard of such a method?

Andy CWS-II
Rather than paraphrasing as the above that looks a lot like a misrepresentation. Here are actual quotes of what was said by both parties.

Originally Posted by Gary Slusser
.... ...... IRB and SRB .... aerobic and anaerobic bacterias ... ....
Coliform bacteria is also a large group of the same types of bacteria and they also can cause odor problems.

Your reply to that: Originally posted by Andy CWS
I have never heard of coliform causing an odor. In fact, I have been told by lab technicians that the only way to determine coliform was through lab tests. Physical maladies may indicate something is wrong with your water but never heard that coliform can be detected with the nose. What is the odor like?

Then I replied to that with: Originally posted by Gary Slusser
I didn't say you can smell test for Coliform bacteria so yes, you need to do a Coliform test.

The first time you do a Coliform test yourself and find Coliform remove the petri dish lid or the Presence/Absence test container cap and take a whiff. Then the next time you are collecting well water samples, smell the water for the same odor and see if over a few years you can learn how to use an educated guess as to the different odors caused by the different types of bacteria found in well water. Not all Coliform contaminated waters will have an odor. More hands on field experience might help.

BTW, what do you mean what does it smell like, he said "rotten eggs".

Here is a link to the thread these quotes come from. Hopefully a link is allowed.
http://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24548
Gary Slusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #5

Bacteria

Gary, your post makes a whole lot of sense, somewhat different then the op's post. At least the whole thing appears to be just a misunderstanding, although I can see how you might get a little upset, have a good day
Old 11-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #6

Bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post

The first time you do a Coliform test yourself and find Coliform remove the petri dish lid or the Presence/Absence test container cap and take a whiff. Then the next time you are collecting well water samples, smell the water for the same odor and see if over a few years you can learn how to use an educated guess as to the different odors caused by the different types of bacteria found in well water. Not all Coliform contaminated waters will have an odor. More hands on field experience might help.

Dude, thank you for your comment. This is what causes me some wonderment. Why would anyone suggest sniffing a petri dish with living coliform and then try to compare it with well water?

Neither makes much sense to me...
Old 11-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #7

Bacteria

I think its better for me to just sit this one out, didn't realize what I was getting into.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #8

Bacteria

Dude, Not to worry, it's nothing I'm sure.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 AM   #9
Water quality'n pump guy

Bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
Gary, your post makes a whole lot of sense, somewhat different then the op's post.
Yeah and the only person that chose to not understand it was Andy.... kinda like he didn't get what you've said now.
Gary Slusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #10

Bacteria

Side-stepping still doesn't explain corny the advice. But if you feel you can't, then that's OK.