Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #1

Share |

Back yard now leaking "black water"

My house is connected to county water and sewer. The other day my wife noticed a black tinted water slowly streaming through the backyard. Where it is located there is a soft spot in the backyard. I am assuming that this is some sort of septic pipe that is damaged? But why would there be a septic pipe in my backyard because the water and sewer lines route thru the front yard. Any ideas on what this could be?

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Agent 000

If your house has any years on it there may be a chance they routed the greywater (washing machine water) out to the back towards a ditch. Have you noticed this occuring while washing clothes or any other water consumption activity...taking a shower, dishwashing perhaps?

Last edited by SecretSquirrel; 08-03-2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling correction
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
If your house has any years on it there may be a chance they routed the greywater (washing machine water) out to the back towards a ditch. Have you noticed this occuring while washing clothes or any other water consumption activity...taking a shower, dishwashing perhaps?
YES! In fact the area where it is leaking is just on the other side of where the washing machine is located in the house. It looks almost like a continuous but very small stream. And what do I do about it?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Agent 000

Not knowing anymore about your house or plumbing system I would imagine that the first thing you have to do is locate the offending drain line and see if there's a convenient place to tie it into the septic line going to the street.... or call a plumber. Do you have a crawl space or basement and where is the washer located? If you want to leave the drainage line "as is" then it's time to get out the shovel and see if you can locate the leak and take the appropriate measures to fix the pipe. The chances are good that the pipe is iron and fixing it would be a bear of a job and at best would be a "temporary" measure.

Last edited by SecretSquirrel; 08-03-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: additional content
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Not knowing anymore about your house or plumbing system I would imagine that the first thing you have to do is locate the offending drain line and see if there's a convenient place to tie it into the septic line going to the street.... or call a plumber. Do you have a crawl space or basement and where is the washer located? If you want to leave the drainage line "as is" then it's time to get out the shovel and see if you can locate the leak and take the appropriate measures to fix the pipe. The chances are good that the pipe is iron and fixing it would be a bear of a job and at best would be a "temporary" measure.
Gotcha. If it is something like this (a greywater drain line) what would be a reasonable repair cost to a pro? And approximately how deep are these lines?
Old 08-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #6

After speaking to the neighbors I believe what has been severed here are the old septic drain field lines (no longer used).

What I want to know is why they are still draining water? Once my house was put on the county water and sewer they should be all dried out and no longer connected to my existing sewer system, correct?