DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

back flow preventers

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Startingover 
#1 · (Edited)
Trying to do the right thing I stopped in a hardware store today for a backflow preventer for one outside faucet...........only to be told they come in different sizes.

This must sound elementary but how to I measure the faucet?

thanks.

Or, I can buy every size there is, try them all and return the ones that don't fit.

#4 ·
"garden hose thread = garden hose thread" There are outside faucets made which have a straight male "machine type" thread on them instead of the standard garden hose threads. These are made so as to install a back-flow preventer which has the female straight type threads to screw onto the faucet and male garden hose threads on the other end. Then the BFP is crimped onto the faucet with a special tool. I absolutely HATE them. When one of these faucets/hose bibbs fail you must change out the entire faucet/bibb.

#5 ·
I'm perplexed. I'd like at least one spigot to function decently.

The one I'm using most had a BFP on it. I bought new rubber washers for the garden hose. I tightened it firmly. I get entirely drenched when I turn the water on.

Could the BFP be old? In fact, when an old time septic inspector was at the house he said I need a BFP on the spigot.

Any ideas are appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.