Back To Back / In Series Toilets - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Back to back / in series toilets

I have 2 toilets installed back to back and in series on the same waste line. They are attached to a hefty 3 inch cast iron pipe and would be very difficult to update with a wye or other fitting.

Is there anything to do vent wise to prevent issues down the road? I hear the new Toto toilets can cause problems with back to back toilets.

This is in Illinois.

Thanks

Advertisement

captmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

Really need pictures or drawings.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

Here's a pic. The connection at the vent looks to be a sanitary tee.
Attached Thumbnails
Back to back / in series toilets-back_to_back_toilets.jpg  
Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmorgan View Post
I have 2 toilets installed back to back and in series on the same waste line. They are attached to a hefty 3 inch cast iron pipe and would be very difficult to update with a wye or other fitting.

Is there anything to do vent wise to prevent issues down the road? I hear the new Toto toilets can cause problems with back to back toilets.

This is in Illinois.

Thanks
Sounds like they're connected to the stack using a double san tee with a common vent off the top. If so, it's properly vented if the vent is 2" or larger. Short of tearing it apart, not much you can do.
enlighten me-- What does the Toto do in this situation?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

So, are you going by the slanted and skewed Consumer Reports editorial on the Toto Toilets? If you really want some good opinions on Toto, go to the Terrylove.com forums. You will find plenty of info about them on his forum site.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #6

There was some talk on the plumbingzone about back to back Totos. Something about the higher velocity flushing of new toilets causing problems. Its also in the Toto install instructions not to use a double san tee.

I don't want to rip out the cast iron, I just don't want flushing or code problems. Hopefully with a 3" vent it should be good.

http://www.plumbingzone.com/f7/back-back-toilets-17513/
Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #7

Looking some more I think what I have is a sanitary tee (not double) connecting two toilets in series. The drain to the sewer is not in the middle of the toilets but is off to the left in my picture.

Still trying to find the Illinois code that would say if this is allowed.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...tion-Questions
Old 10-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmorgan View Post
Looking some more I think what I have is a sanitary tee (not double) connecting two toilets in series. The drain to the sewer is not in the middle of the toilets but is off to the left in my picture.

Still trying to find the Illinois code that would say if this is allowed.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...tion-Questions
Your picture does not clearly show the drainage fittings that connect the toilets. But from what I see- it looks like a double san tee. I haven't ran into the issue you or the Love thread describes, but what appears to happen is that the waste water travels across the vertical drain. Venting modification probably won't help. Changing the double san tee out for a directional fitting (fixture cross) or using a different toilet will though.

Advertisement