Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Back to back fixtures

I have a full bath and a half bath that is back to back. I want to add a shower to the half bath. I have a closet where the new shower will be.
this room sits directly behind the main bathroom . the toilet and sink are back to back, the bath tub in the main bath is back to back with the closet., I have access to the plumbing for the bath tub from the closet area,, I am
pretty clear on what will have to be done. my main question is where to work the floor drain and where I need to cut the slab to so I can attach to a suitable drain. the toilet sits next to the closet opening I can see the
main stack pipe from the access point in the closet.
Attached Thumbnails
Back to back fixtures-shower-project-015.jpg   Back to back fixtures-shower-project-019.jpg   Back to back fixtures-shower-project-020.jpg  

misterd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
STAFF

Rewards Points: 24

Back to back fixtures

If your shower is going to be directly behind the tub I can see a couple of maybe problems. First if you plan to use the tub drain for the shower it is too small. A tub drain is 1 1/2" and a shower drain needs to be 2".

The other problem I see is if that wall is tiled how will you get in to take care of the tub if it leaks?

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #3

Back to back fixtures

The problem you mention is valid, but nothing I can't work around. My primary concern is to get the floor drain work around fixed. the rest I will be able to deal with.

Thanks

Ps. I hav'ent decided about the tub drain that's one of the reasons I'm looking for advice.

Last edited by misterd0; 01-27-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Did'nt fully respond to reply
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
STAFF

Rewards Points: 24

Back to back fixtures

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterd0 View Post
The problem you mention is valid, but nothing I can't work around. My primary concern is to get the floor drain work around fixed. the rest I will be able to deal with.

Thanks

Ps. I hav'ent decided about the tub drain that's one of the reasons I'm looking for advice.
I wish I knew an easy fix for that but I don't. One of the fellows who is really up on this type thing will help you, I am sure.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 10

Back to back fixtures

You'll need to be sure were you are going to tap into is the system PVC or Cast iron? pvc much easier cast iron you may have a problem finding space between the hubs back to back combinations have multiple fitting usually with very little spaces of clean pipe to splice in to. you may have to go down stream of the toilets. you can not connect to a waste arm tub toilet etc. you may have to re vent it ????get a camera with a locator trace the pipe and combinations.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net

Last edited by Javiles; 01-27-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 80

Back to back fixtures

Anyone notice those copper lines where not sleaved to keep them away from the slab?
How to you plan on busting out the concrete and redoing the drain with the tub in the way?
Another issue is if you did it that way you would have to bust out the wall in the tub area if someone wanted to replace the tub deverter.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #7

Back to back fixtures

I am submitting a scatch of what I am thinking so please let me know if this is way off base of can it be changed to be possible or tweaked to work. thanks for your info so far.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Back to back fixtures-shower-project.jpg  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 10

Back to back fixtures

Way off base major code violations and tons of problems in the future, will not work what you think is below the ground is not. i was called out to a job last year were they had a shower clog, they called roto rooter the guy went out and put a half inch cable through the shower drain it jumped over in to the next bathroom came up the over flow broke the plate and grabbed a bath towel that was in the shower on a towel bar. the idiot got stuck the homeowner told us he was there for 3 hours trying to get the cable back when he couldn't he cut the cable and left when the owner went in to the other bath they discovered their bath had been torn up by the slapping cable, to the point when we broke out the floor to repair the pipe we found something similar to what you just drew, turns out the lady had a shower installed exactly what you want to do the plumbers she called were to expensive so she called a local handyman that gave her a price she liked. well insurance didn't cover it because she used an unlicensed contractor, cost her double to correct the installation. i cant get my scanner to work if not i would draw you what you most probably have in the ground and how and were you need to connect. maybe someone one the site may draw it out for you so you can get a better idea.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net

Last edited by Javiles; 01-28-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 40

Back to back fixtures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
Way off base major code violations and tons of problems in the future.
I knew if I stayed away from this one- some one would put my thoughts to words.....
Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #10

Back to back fixtures

thanks for the reply, however, if you don't point out the violations and issues that's in the diagram there is no increase in knowledge on my part.

thanks again
Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #11

Back to back fixtures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
i was called out to a job last year were they had a shower clog, they called roto rooter the guy went out and put a half inch cable through the shower drain it jumped over in to the next bathroom came up the over flow broke the plate and grabbed a bath towel that was in the shower on a towel bar. the idiot got stuck the homeowner told us he was there for 3 hours trying to get the cable back when he couldn't he cut the cable and left when the owner went in to the other bath they discovered their bath had been torn up by the slapping cable,
I would say this is too crazy if this didn't happen to me. When I was still an apartment dweller, the next apt was being snaked. The snake busted through the side of the toilet in our bathroom and came out and grabbed the shower curtain. It was dark back by the bathroom and all of a sudden there is major commotion going on in there. Scared the crap out of me.

Sorry, just a story to tell.

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #12

Back to back fixtures

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterd0
I am submitting a scatch of what I am thinking so please let me know if this is way off base of can it be changed to be possible or tweaked to work. thanks for your info so far.

thanks
On the drawing you got a running trap on a tub. Then a trap 2"on the shower you can't double trap a fixture. The running trap will make it a double trap. You will need a vent on the shower. Should be one there for the tub now? Hard to believe there is a running trap on the tub now. I think you mite be over your head get a plumber to draw it and have him do the work and get a permits. May you could demo to save money.
best handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #13

Back to back fixtures

Quote:
Originally Posted by best handyman

On the drawing you got a running trap on a tub. Then a trap 2"on the shower you can't double trap a fixture. The running trap will make it a double trap. You will need a vent on the shower. Should be one there for the tub now? Hard to believe there is a running trap on the tub now. I think you mite be over your head get a plumber to draw it and have him do the work and get a permits. May you could demo to save money.
What a running trap?
handyman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #14

Back to back fixtures

[QUOTE="handyman21"]

I think your wright
handyman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 40

Back to back fixtures

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterd0 View Post
thanks for the reply, however, if you don't point out the violations and issues that's in the diagram there is no increase in knowledge on my part.

thanks again
Do you know where the 3" or 4" line is in the floor?
Is the tub drain 1.5" or 2"?