Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

Share |

awful gassy smell

we have a bath and a half and recently the half bathroom has had a awful gassy smell like rotten eggs. the water smells sometimes too from the sink. the other bathroom with the shower is fine. . is its something with the piping to the bathroom or the water itself? or could it even be the toliet with a bad wax ring or gasket? someone told me i could put bleach/chlorine in my septic? is that a good idea or one way to make it go away? if so how do i go about doing that. i got it pumped out last sept before we bought the house.

Last edited by jhack836; 03-24-2012 at 07:33 PM.
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #2

awful gassy smell

well i found the problem after sniffing around for awhile in bathroom, it wasnt the toilet, it was underneath the sink!! it has been leaking and i had no idea!! i hardly ever use that bathroom and i NEVER go under there as my wife had about 75 bottles of loition and what not! i opened the doors and it smelled awful! didnt see water really until i moved some bottles. soaking wet as you can see from the pic. it musta been a slow leak that has been going on for weeks since she 1st smelled taht smell becuase it didnt leak into the basement at all. as you can see in the pics it even started to grow mold! it fn reaks in my house now but im glad i found it! i ripped all that pvs piping and p trap right out of there and truned the water off. based on the bottom pic it almost looks like it was leaking from the right shutoff as well
Attached Thumbnails
awful gassy smell-img_1958.jpg   awful gassy smell-img_1959.jpg   awful gassy smell-img_1960.jpg  

Last edited by jhack836; 03-24-2012 at 07:34 PM.
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #3

awful gassy smell

What a mess, looks like someone walked into the plumbing supply and said I'll take one of every thing you sell.
This is all that was needed to do the same job.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...mb=cpCLpHoH11V

Pretty common to have those old shutoffs leak, just replace them after the waters shut off and the waters drained out of the line.
Also replace the supply lines with new stainless steel flex lines while your in there.

As far as the partical board that's damaged there's no fixing that. once it gets wet once it turns to oatmeal.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #4

awful gassy smell

As a note,you DO NOT want to pour bleach/chlorine in your septic,it will kill off (some-most) of the bacteria that your system needs to digest your sewage.
Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote