Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #1

Share |

Avoiding a frozen paver drain

I will be installing a paver patio at the end of May and will be using a channel drain designed for pavers to help move the water away from the house and nearby swimming pool.

The paver drain (http://www.quakerplastic.com/2-inch-...rain-pool.html) has bottom drain out areas where I can connect Schedule 40 connectors. I would connect PVC (or PEX) and then allow the drain to flow out into sections of my lawn that are away from the patio and house.

Because these paver drain sections are not cheap and tearing them up for repair is far from ideal, I am curious what I should use for the drain out connection as well as any other method to avoid freezing and thus cracking in the winter.

Plugging the drain in the winter is not ideal because doing so would go against the point of the drain (avoiding water going from patio into the concrete area that wraps around swimming pool).

In my research, I've found that PEX supposedly will stretch pretty good when frozen. If I use really big PVC like 2 inch, would that alone reduce the risk of things freezing. I am already planning on having four bottom drain outs for a 50 foot run. One suggestion even considered using PEX and insert it into large PVC.

When I contacted the manufacture (whom also is in Pennsylvania), their basic reply was to takes steps to ensure the drain continues to drain in the winter because if frozen the PVC will crack.

So should I do anything special or is just the nature of drains not that big of an issue in the winter? Obviously some drains such as your gutter system have problems with ice dams in the winter and things like heat tape and gutter guards come into play.

-Brandon

BrandonC_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #2

Almost all trench drains I have installed have built in slope. Is this model self draining? Thats the first step to keep them from freezing

Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #3

as eplumber said also as long as end is not plugged with debris it will drain and if it does freeze and pipe is not full of water the freezing water will have room to expand and not break pipe.
if still a concern use gutter heat wire like one in link works great we use them on level gutters and level rain water pipes.we put them on a pilot light switch so you know when it is on. sold at hardware stores and big box stores hard to find if out of season but they usually have them stashed on shelf collecting dust

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ja...FcaA7QodV3SXDA
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote