Avante Shower Cartridge Replaced, Now Water Flow Is Low? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Avante shower cartridge replaced, now water flow is low?

I have just finished replacing a defective Price Pfister "Avante" style shower cartridge in my shower. All is working and there are no more leaks however the water pressure to the shower head is not as strong as before?

Are there low flow water restrictors on these cartridges that need to be removed? The cartridge I purchased was a Danco PP-8 replacement.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated?

Thank you.

Advertisement

tmac4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Hello TMAC4 I looked the replacement # up they show a number of mfg# 974-292 and that is the Price Pfister Avante exact number for the cartridge. As for the other name and number you list is that after market name and number that could be the problem ??? . Kerry

Advertisement

kerry42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #3

Yes I have thought of this. However the only replacement I could find quckly was the Danco PP-8 which is Danco's replacement part for PP's Avante.

The parts do look nearly identical.
The 974-292 (on top) This type came out of my shower.
The PP-8 (on bottom) this is identical to the replacement put in.

I guess I need to find a local supply ( in Houston) for these as I cannot trust getting the right one over the internet site unseen. I have seen the all plastic one lised as 974-292 as well as the one with the metallic insert.
Attached Thumbnails
Avante shower cartridge replaced, now water flow is low?-pp-974-292.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Is the one on top the original one ??? from Price Pfister it appears to be a little different slightly on the end ,but don't know if that what causing your problem for sure . there is possibly that some foreing matter might be stuck in valve body might want to try flushing that out ,does that valve have stops built into valve ?. if so leave cartridge out and crack open the stops a little bit and see if it will disloge something ,but be careful water is going to come staight out at you .also if valve does have stops are you sure that they are open all the way or any other valve that might have been turned off be for you change out the first one just a thought ???????
kerry42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #5

Ha! The solution was so simple! I checked my shower head and found it clogged with debris. I guess turning the water off and on again caused this as my shower head was running just fine prior to the new cartridge being installed.

I never would have thought that my shower head could be so clogged up so fast. At least this was the first thing I checked before attmepting to fool with the cartridge again.

so I guess either cartridge type is just fine!