Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Automatic shower limiter

Hi;
I live in a house with my 13 year old niece, and like so many her age, she takes very long (15 minutes) showers.
She sometimes even leaves the shower while the water is still running.
I even built an extension for the shower arm, so that she could reach the shut-off we installed on just above the head, but she never uses it.

So, I'm thinking of an automatic device that will limit shower time either by time, or by flow. The device needs to be "child-proof" in that she cannot easily press a button to reset the flow and get another 10 minutes out of it.

I have seen one device on the market; "The Shower Manager", but the reviews for the product pretty much tell me what I expected reading their website; it's a piece of junk.

Does anyone know of a device that would suit my needs, for about $25 or less?

Thanks

FW

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Automatic shower limiter

Why not just reach back and turn off the output on the hot water heater? .... she'll finish REAL fast!

DM

Old 05-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #3

Automatic shower limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Why not just reach back and turn off the output on the hot water heater? .... she'll finish REAL fast!

DM
Funny you should mention that. It is exactly what I came up with about 1/2 hour ago!
Then, when she complains that the water got cold, I'll just play dumb, and tell here the hw heater ran out of hot water.

FW

Old 05-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Automatic shower limiter

If you turn it off slowly enough, she'll just think she's used up all the hot water... and MAYBE hurry and get out?

DM
Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #5

Automatic shower limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
If you turn it off slowly enough, she'll just think she's used up all the hot water... and MAYBE hurry and get out?

DM
Sounds cool

FW

Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Automatic shower limiter

I've been wondernig the same thing for years. My boys are now 14 and showers are getting longer. I did have a flow meter in line with the shower pipe, and that told me how many gallons were used. They could use it too. But it would not stop the flow. There HAS to be some kind of valve that meters flow. I may try the meter again and see if they'll try to stay under some limit.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Automatic shower limiter

ok plumbers it sounds like someone could invent this thing and make a bundle. I am thinking of something like the mechanical automatic shutoffs that you hook to your garden hose then you turn the dial for an hour and it uses the flow of water to move the dial. By the way my wife drains a 60 gallon water heater at least twice a week when she showers.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,262

Automatic shower limiter

You take a "normaly open" solenoid valve, install it before the shower valve, (perhaps hot side only) energize it through a switch or timer that is located outside the bathroom. When the alloted time is up flip the switch

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote